Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy feeding questions

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Sharon7, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    When Meadow comes home Thursday we'd like to begin feeding 3 distinct meals a day, up till now she has been free-feeding with her littermates. I'm guessing she might weigh 5 pounds. If I feed her 1/3 cup of puppy food three times daily, will that be enough? She will be on Purina Pro Plan puppy food to start, then we'd like to switch her to Fromm puppy - the Purina puppy food has corn in 3 different formats, gluten, meal and something else which I find dumb. The Fromm has no peas, lentils, potatoes, nothing suspect in the ingredient list. When she is onto adult I will switch her to what the other dogs are eating.

Anyway, should her meals be spaced 8 hours apart as one book recommended? :confused2: Like 7 AM 3 PM and 10PM? That seems awfully late to feed her supper and then not have a BM overnight.

Sheesh I'm realizing how much I don't know! I do know to restrict water after about 8 PM though.

I'm hoping she will eat without a fuss and not scare me by refusing food because she is in a new place. Elijah barely ate the first two days but he was a year old then, not a wee pup.

ghggp, KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Kip is only my second puppy, so I'm no expert, but I can tell you what I did with him.

I got Kip at 10 weeks (probably older than Meadow will be when you get her?), and the breeder was already feeding him 3 separate meals, and I continued with her schedule as best as I could. Kip was about 7 lbs when I got him.

The breeder said Kip should get 1/4 to 1/3 cup at each meal (about one cup total). I fed him at 6AM, noon, and about 9PM. But Kip would not eat as much as the breeder recommended. He was such a light eater, and ate less than 2/3rds cup a day. It kind of stressed me out, but he was perfectly healthy. It wasn't just because he was in a new place either, because he was a very light eater for months. He still isn't as food crazy as my first Sheltie, but he eats all his food.

ghggp, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    With Finnie (and Piper too I think) I fed 3 times a day but I don't recall if I fed 8 hours apart. Do whatever works for you. I think because of my work schedule (I'm evenings) he did get his last meal quite late so I'd be taking him outside for a poop close to midnight so maybe feeding his last meal at 8 or so would be better.
    I love the name by the way!

ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  4. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I fed Minnie twice daily because I was working. My niece came in at noon and gave her a snack. I fed her at 6 am and at 4:30, if I remember correctly about a 1/2 cup at each feeding. She adjusted fine. I kept her on the pro plan as I didn't want to change what the breeder was feeding. But of course that is your choice, Minnie does really well on it.

ghggp, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've always fed puppies 1/2 cup three times daily and I don't really look at the clock. They get breakfast at 7 with everyone else, lunch between noon and 1, dinner around 6. It's not 8-hour intervals but that's never been a problem.

If you're feeding ProPlan I would give 1/2 cup, since there are more fillers (aka corn) in that than Fromm, which is also what I fed my puppies. I fed 1/2 cup three times a day until 5 or 6 months old, unless puppy seems to be gaining too much weight. When you get close to eliminating that feeding, reduce the lunch amount until you phase it out.

Don't worry if she doesn't eat well her first or second day at home. That's not unusual. Her appetite should pick up quickly as she adjusts. If that happens, try feeding her kibble as treats. That usually works!

Piper's mom, corbinam, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Oh! I should have mentioned in my how much to feed comment that I got my puppy when she was 3 months old, so the feeding routine I had for her was easier than if the puppy was 8 weeks old.Also, I can't stress enough that giving a kibble filled kong really helps them settle down, I gave about two a day, frozen

Piper's mom, ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I also did 3 meals a day with Liam. I gave breakfast at 6 lunch at 11 and dinner at 5. The amount was 1/3 cup.

I ended up changing the feeding time later as Liam started throwing up bile in the morning as too much stomach acid was produced. I changed the time to 7 and that helped. He was 10 weeks old when I got him.

Good luck! Love the name too!!!

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Cran and Jocu as puppies got breakfast around 6ish, lunch around 11-12 and dinner around 6ish. not sure how much I gave them back in those days.
    Destin was 3 months when he came home so he didn't get lunch for too long- well about 3 weeks after he came home.

Piper's mom, KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks everybody. Just got back from a small local pet supply store that actually had the Fromm Gold puppy food in stock - there is now a run on dog food as well apparently, Chewy is back-ordered. Got a Whimzee chew and another rolled up chew that looks like rawhide but is made out of rice instead. Supposed to be long-lasting, we'll see. I have tons of toys so I think we are good there.

I'm pretty sure we started Skye and Asta off with regular meals 3 times daily but that was so long ago. I will try it out and see how she does. She's already had one round of vaccines and with the lockdown I don't know what my vet will want to do - examine her now and then go back for shots in 3 weeks, or just drop off a fecal and wait to see her when the shots are due. Luckily I can text her directly and see. Wow, she will be home in 3 days!!! :eek2: :love: