Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy Food suggestions?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by shelee, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:22 PM.

1. shelee

shelee Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I have decided to go ahead and get my new Sheltie puppy Friday. I had always fed my previous Shelties Wellness Core and it did really well for Missy. I like the Wellness product and had planned on feeding the new puppy Wellness Puppy Formula. However, the breeder sent me a message that she only feds frozen food, firmly believes it is the way if you want a healthy dog, and would send me home a bag to get started. She said she would explain her philosophy about food to me Friday. I don't know a thing about frozen food and will wait to hear what she tells me about it, but was wondering what some of you feed your Shelties?

Hanne, Sharon7, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I feed my two adults a raw diet and Blueberry is transitioning onto raw as well. I think it’s great that she’s already feeding a raw diet, so many options available at good pet stores and maybe online as well.
    Find out the brand she feeds and then see if it’s available where you are. I make my own and there are lots of raw feeding groups online (this is how I get my meat), do a search for raw feeding groups in your area on Facebook, easy to do with only one dog.

shelee likes this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Fromm Gold Puppy for Deacon, Fromm Gold for Brodie, Fromm Gold Senior for Kooper.

Used to feed our doxies Merrick Grain Free Buffalo - Buddy got it his whole life - but the grain free info came out, I avoid peas in dog food due to stuff I have read, and Shelties should be on a lower protein diet (somewhere in the range of 26-28% if I remember correctly which isn't really possible - I am close but wrong on exact numbers... ). There are some really good older threads here on SN not talking about specific foods, but of what their content should be.

Hanne and shelee like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    It sounds like your breeder is talking about raw frozen. Many people swear by it (Lisa, a few posts down for one!) but if you don't want to take that route, there are many good traditional foods out there too. Wellness is an excellent food, although for some reason it gives the runs to some puppies. I fed mine Fromm Puppy Gold like Sandy and always had good luck with it.

If you want to straddle the line between frozen and home cooked there are numerous freeze-dried or dehydrated foods that are close to fresh. Honest Kitchen makes some good varieties. All of these are available on Chewy and can be shipped to you which is super easy.

5. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I'm firmly in the raw or natural food advocate camp. Started 20 yrs ago. Raised Fillion on raw, all my older dogs were switched over when I got them. If you need any help, let me know!
    Looking forward to pics of the new baby!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. shelee

shelee Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Thank you! I will.

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Margi is a godsend...she helped me start Finnie on raw at 11 weeks old. He’s now 3 and thriving.

Sandy in CT and shelee like this.
  8. shelee

shelee Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Thank you alot, I am not sure if raw if for me, but will decide after hearing what the breeder says. Thanks for a suggestion of a food if I don't go that route. Can you tell me why Shelties should not have a high protein diet?

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. shelee

shelee Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Sandy, I had never heard that Shelties should have a lower protein. Why is that?

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I also recommend Fromm Gold puppy. Liked the ingredients and Meadow did great on it, never a problem with her tummy or bad poops.