Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy for an older dog

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by SheepOfBlue, Nov 30, 2022.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Just wondering what experiences people have had. Spitfire is 11 and dislikes puppies however after a month of 'I hate you so much' he accepted Angus and they were best buddies all the time. But Spitfire was 6-7 then not 11-12. So on one hand he LOVES a buddy and always had one but the other is he has less endurance now.

Darren, Sandy in CT, RikyR and 5 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    We procrastinated on adding a second Sheltie until Skye, our first girl was 13. Turned out to be the best thing ever. Even our vet said it would perk her up and it did. She taught the puppy a lot and Asta was respectful of Skye, but they did play together and love each other's company.

The other option is to try and find a slightly older dog, a rescue or a retired show dog, or one that ended up being too big/little/prick ears to be shown.
    I'm glad you are considering how Spitfire might feel about it. How is he handling being alone again?

3. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    He is a bit more open to being petted. He did do a couple of things that he used to bait Angus into playing, then suddenly stopped. He half hearted checks his food bowl. But compared to when Sca died he seems better (which surprises me). Oh and he grumbles more than he used to....he is like a cat at times.

Darren, Sandy in CT, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  4. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We are trying to find a slightly older than puppy for Annie. She is not taking well to being an only Sheltie which was my worry when Katy turned 14. It is wonderful to hear stories of older Shelties but nothing is a given and we knew we'd be in this place at some point. It was hard to admit it and here we are looking again as we did when Bailey got sick and we knew Katy wouldn't do well alone.

Our issues are slightly different. I think Annie would be fine with a puppy, a slightly older dog would be easier on us after all the care giving we just went through with Katy. Puppies can be like babies.

5. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Only thing on a slightly older one for Spitfire would be his insistence that he is king. A puppy can be molded to accept that from the beginning.

Darren, Sandy in CT, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Honestly, I think you'd be better off with a puppy that Spitfire can "train." I've done it both ways, bringing in puppies and older ones, with dogs over 10 in the house, and older new ones tend to come with habits already ingrained that the older dog may not like. Puppies are more work for you, but you'd be surprised how much they learn from the older ones. And as Sharon said, it gives the older ones a new lease on life, almost a second puppyhood! 11 is not that old in Sheltie terms, I think Spitfire would surprise you.

I'm glad you're thinking of a pal for him. We never replace those we've lost, but giving a home to another one heals your heart a bit and makes you smile. If we can help in your search, just say the word.

7. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    I think your idea of adding a puppy will be easier on Spitfire. He will retain his position in the pack and after the initial I hate you period, He will go ahead and teach him the ways.
    I would be concerned about a older dog trying to assume the position thus making Spitfire miserable.
    Last but not least would depend on what you want.
    I am very happy to hear your talking about it.I know that whichever you pick will be lucky to be going home with you. :)

Darren, Sandy in CT, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  8. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Learning from Spitfire what are you trying to bring on the apocolypse! j/k

That is kind of what I was thinking. And I agree on the replace. Angus was not Sca but both were off the charts awesome in their own way. I had visions of Angus racing and he was a fluff brain with no ball drive. BUT within a few months of riding over with me to get Angus, Dad passed which wrecked Mom. Then Mom's health which was horrible went down and we lost her. Then Wuhan. So Angus being a HUGE lover dog was exactly what I needed, plus him and Spitfire were very tight. He also was a loner dog for Mom when she was unable to have a dog. Spitfire and Angus would go visit for the day. Kind of an angel on loan during hard times.

Oh and Spitfire surprise me.....for that he would have to go up to a pack of kids and let them maul him.

Darren, Sandy in CT, Ann and 4 others like this.
  9. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Temperament is key for the current and new additions. I wish you well in finding a new companion.

For Annie I'm really open to finding a new dog age wise but temperament is key. My one no is an aggressive dog. Our one failed rescue attacked Bailey and I won't deal with that ever again.

Darren, Sandy in CT, Ann and 2 others like this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    honestly- that's why I got Cranberry. I had Happy and Callie already and they were getting older. since I didn't think it would be great for one of them to be left alone when the other passed, I started contemplating a third dog. I wasn't sure that I could find another adult/older dog rescue that would get along with those 2 older rescues so I decided on a puppy that would grow up respecting them.

Darren, Sandy in CT, Ann and 5 others like this.