Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy help

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Rachell2492, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Rachell2492

Rachell2492 Forums Regular

Jan 8, 2020
    Hi all,

On New Year’s Eve, we welcomed an 8 week old sheltie girl into our family. She is 10 weeks old tomorrow and is as cheeky as ever. She has begun to get very anxious when we leave the room, and howls when we have to go out. We are crate training her, and leave her with plenty of toys and treats, but this doesn’t stop her from being super anxious. Some people have told me she’ll grow out of it, and others have told me that we need to work with her on it. I am worried about doing the wrong thing. What have people’s experiences been with this?
    thank you!!

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Hi Rachell,
    I briefly had this problem when I brought Liam home. I did offer him a Kong filled with his kibble. I first put the kibble in a bowl and added water to slightly soften it. Then put it into a Kong and froze it. That kept him occupied enough so he stopped crying when I left.
    Having the treat frozen makes it harder for them to get to so it occupies them for a longer period of time.

I am sure others will add their tricks too.

Ann, RikyR and Wendy C like this.
  3. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    I do the same with the kong and when I take it out of the freezer I add a wee bit of peanut butter over the kibble in the hole! Cooper loves his Kong! :)

RikyR likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Watson's Mom and Ann like this.
  5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    It is real easy to make your own peanut butter. Buy unsalted roasted peanuts. Put them in a 350F oven for 5-6 minutes. Put them in the blender/food processor until creamy to your liking. Once you put it in the container, the oil will rise to the top. Pour that off and enjoy. Add a little honey and make a batch for yourself. We do not buy PB anymore.
    We use frozen green beans in the Kong. Sometimes we will put a dab of yogurt on top.

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I have always fed Gavin with a treat ball. He gets it when I leave for work in the AM, so by the time he is done eating I am well gone. seems the leaving is the traumatic part and not me being gone. Now he can't wait for me to leave :)

ghggp, RikyR and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    My English is so bad so I hope that help comes soon
    Until then, there are a lot of threads around this problem.

You have to put in a lot of work to give the little soul
    confidence and you have to start right away.

A link to us new Sheltie owners so we may better understand this little sensitive breed.
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/

Darren, ghggp and Wendy C like this.
  8. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Another idea is to practice leaving and coming back after very short intervals...like one minute, five minutes, etc while they are in the crate with something to chew. Work your way up to longer amounts of time. Practice getting out your keys and shoes like you were going to leave, them stay home. We did a lot of this with Mindy when she came home at 4 months and it really helped when we had to leave for longer periods of time. Maybe try leaving a radio or TV on so there is background noise while you’re gone.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    This is so common, and no I wouldn't expect she'll just grow out of it. Some dogs may, but we raise dogs to be attached to humans so of course they'll be upset when we leave. And of course, for a dog, when you leave so does all the interesting stuff and life gets very boring.

People have already mentioned about leaving food. And definitely what Diane said, getting her used to you leaving, and to the sounds of you leaving, is important, and you should leave on a radio or the tv (gentle human voices are best). Also make sure she has an 'activity' to do when you are gone - Dogs don't really play by themselves that much so leaving toys doesn't help much.

At this age I think no food should be given in a bowl. Instead you should use her food allowance for keeping her active. Get her to work for her food, like a dog would do naturally, they absolutely love it and it stimulates their brain and gives them an activity that does not require you. It also teaches to eat slower. If you feed dried food use a kibble dispenser, I make my own by cutting kibble sized holes in a water bottle (make sure you smooth down the holes), or I'm sure you can buy something similar. You can also do a 'treasure hunt' and hide or scatter the food (my dogs love treasure hunts). And all soft food should be given in Kongs. I'd rather buy tinned food for Kongs instead of over doing the peanut butter.

10. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Hanne, your English is wonderful never lose confidence in it. :)