Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy obsession- puppy colors?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by KarenCurtis, Feb 21, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm probably going to post about a million times these next couple of weeks or months! :hide
    I think it might be fun to guess the puppy colors. The dam looks like a Tri but is a cryptic blue, and the sire must be a pure sable. He's got a nice mostly reddish coat. Mostly sable puppies? I wish I knew how many there will be- soon enough though!

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I can tell you that Eli's mom is a beautiful powder blue merle, and his dad was pure for sable. All the pups were sable or sable merle. Eli's coat is a bit different - his colors are all interspersed, the browns, tans, black hairs, hard to describe, but very striking looking. My other sables had places in their coats where the color was more consistent, if that makes sense.

Elijah2.jpg

Sandy in CT and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    What about the mom?

4. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Eli is adorable! I love his furry ears, Sandstorms ears are furry like that!

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Eli's mom is a beautiful blue merle.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I don't think that you can say a sable is pure for sable based on the coat color. do you have a pedigree? both parents would need to have been sable for there to be a chance for the sire to be pure for sable.

Cranberry and Dixie came from litter where the dam was a blue merle and the sire was a tri factored sable. so there was one blue merle, one sable merle, two sables and three tris in the litter.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  7. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Oh I was thinking that it was pure for sable because the dam is a cryptic blue, so they both couldn't have the Merle gene, but I can't pretend to know about color genetics, confusing!! I would really have to sit down and study that stuff in order to get it.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    pure for sable means that the dog only carries the sable gene and no tri or bi gene. so pretty much if you breed a pure for sable dog to anything else, you'll get sables as sable is dominant. you could get sable merles if the mom is a blue (cryptic or not). so the dam is essentially a tri with a little merle so she is either tri/tri or tri/bi. to get bi puppies, both parents need to carry the bi gene. it is possible that both parents could carry it if one of their parents was a bi. that's why you need the pedigree to see what is in the background of the parents.
    some examples - Jocu is a biblack. His father was a bi factored tri and his mother was a biblack so only possible puppies were tri and biblack.
    Destin's mother was a biblack and his father was a biblue so only possible puppies were biblack and biblue.

so this site explains the basics of coat colors and has a link to a calculator that you can play with to look at possible puppy colors.
    somewhere there is another site with pictures of shelties and their genetic makeup so you can see that color of sable does not help with knowing the factors of the dog.

9. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, I'm just guessing that the sire is pure for sable- ofcourse the breeder knows for sure and I haven't asked her. I'm thinking this because if the sire has the Merle gene then he wouldn't be bred to a dog who also has the Merle gene, correct? I am just curious what the puppy colors could be!! Exciting!

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    pure for sable has nothing to do with merle- completely separate genes. you could have a pure for sable with merle.
    pure for sable just means that there's no tri or bi in the dog so it can only produce sable puppies. so she would not breed a sable merle to the cryptic blue. merle is still being studied but there has been some recent work on it that someone here posted about.
    I'll actually put out a guess that the sire is not pure for sable as if it was, she'd only get sable and sable merle puppies and a lot of breeders don't want to produce sable merle puppies as the merling is less obvious on most brown dogs and with a cryptic blue as the dam, I'd think it likely that you might not be able to tell if there was merle on the sables. it's one of the reasons that I got Cranberry- I was sure that you would be able to tell that he's a sable merle as an adult and you can:winkgrin: