Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy pooping machine

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Caro, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I don't recall my other puppies pooping as much as Kismet. She does 10-12 poops a day, quite generous ones. And she's on a better kibble than my others were.

The big problem is most of that pooping is at night. She poops in the cat room first, then fills up the doggy toilet in the lounge, maybe does one on the laundry loo then may poop elsewhere. I scooped 8 poos this morn. If there's poop on the loo then she sometimes misses with her pee.

Does this seem right? Shouldn't pups poop in the morn and when they're active? Any idea's for shifting the poop behaviour?

I'm completely immobile atm so pup does have far more freedom than she should and I need to wait until early evening for the pet sitter to come clean it up.

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    WoW! I think puppies poop a bit more, but I would think it's tied to feeding times. No way Brodie poo'd that much! Maybe consider changing her kibble? Slowly - don't want that poo to become diarrhea. I do feel that better quality kibble equates to less poo. Doesn't need to be grain free, just on a bit higher tier. She might have digestive issues from the household change along with diet changes, but wow! That's a LOT of poo!!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    She's on Royal Canin mini puppy. All the pets are on either Royal Canin or Purina Pro Plan. The breeder had her on Ivory Coat, but that only comes in huge bags. Maybe she's getting too much?

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sounds like she is getting to much to me. All my dogs were like clock work.
    Morning feed and out to potty, afternoon small meal after out to potty, dinner and out to potty. I can’t imagine a tiny pup needing to go so much! I would really restrict her freedom! Only an xpen in the house! Maybe two of them together for room but certainly no free access to the house. Good luck

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Puppies poop lots because they eat lots lol! I don't remember Piper in terms of how much but I'm thinking it was at least 4/day. Finnie I started on raw right away and he was literally 2/day! I used to worry he wasn't going enough :ROFLMAO:.
    Perhaps because she has more freedom she goes whenever she has to whereas if she was crated or in a puppy pen she'd have to hold it a bit?

ghggp likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Any chance she could have giardia? Does she have distinct meals or free feeding? I'm going with 1/3 measuring cup three times daily for Meadow when we get her. She is on Purina Pro Plan but I'm switching her to Fromm gold at least for the puppy stage.

Sandy in CT likes this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Ha ha - she worked out how to climb out the xpen on the second day. The crate is too hard, not only does she scream the place down when she's locked in (probably because all the other pets are loose), but I can't bend over to lock the door. When I get a visitor next I may ask them to use the pens to section off parts of the house. She's fed 4 times a day because I have to feed Tully that often, but maybe the pet sitter is giving her too much. Originally I thought I gave her too little. People on here were talking about a full cup which was no were mear what i was feeding.

Hadn't thought about giardia. I could worm her again. Someone in this room is farting and it's not me!

Sharon7, RikyR, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Four time seems too much. We fed puppies three times.

Caro and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Roxy has never and still doesn’t poo nearly as much as Watson did and still does. I don’t know what’s normal. She’s always been like this so I’m guessing it’s just her normal.

Piper's mom and Caro like this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    We halved the food and I didn't give the night feed and I only found 1 poop (so far anyway). So I might give more in the morn and less in the evening and see if that works,

And she's decided she can pee where she likes now, That's hard for me because I can't bend to clean and I waste precious paper towel trying to blot with my feet. So 2 questions
    - talc or bicarb to soak up the pee until the evening pet sitter arrives (assuming I can get bicarb)?
    - what easily obtained item can I use to get rid of the smell, that again I can leave on until the pet sitter arrives? I've forgotten