Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

puppy size and showing question

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by JessicaR, Jun 26, 2014.

1. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    There was a question on facebook (learning to show group) today about showing and size. Maybe someone here can answer since there was no clear answer given.

The question is... Can a 6 month old puppy be shown, with out being disqualified if he hasn't reached the minimum height for that breed (not a sheltie)

The answers she was given was conflicted some people say yes he can be shown, AKC doesn't measure puppies under a year old.
    Others, mostly people that show shelties, say no don't show that breed standards don't give a minimum age for measuring in, that to show you have to meet the minimum height or risk being disqualified.

2. Justicemom

Justicemom Premium Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I can answer that question. Judges can and do wicket and measure a 6 month puppy and id undersize excuse you from the ring.

I was handling a male puppy for someone I did not own it. First day I got him pulled up and got him measured in. The next day he got measured out. He was just at 13" on his tip toes. There was a major on the line too. If he had gotten wicketed out the major woyld have broken thus why I was handling him. The second day there was an extra dog so luckily it stayed.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    So you need the pups to grow quickly to 13" to be shown as a pup and then screech to a stop and quit growing to stay under 16". Odd.

I did have cat that did that. He was the most ginormous in the kitten class and didn't grow at all after 9 months except to bulk up and get a more mature face.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Well what's interesting is you can have a puppy who is in-size at 6 months old and then they have a growth spurt and go oversize! I guess you better show as much as you can before the growth spurt in that case!

I don't know what the breed is, but most smaller dogs (like Shelties) tend to get pretty close to their full size by the time their 6 months, at least I thought that was the case... but if it's a "puppy class", I wouldn't see the need to measure to make sure they meet the minimum. Obviously if the puppy is already oversize at 6 months, they aren't exactly going to shrink.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Oh the puppy size nightmare....especially the boys, I'm told, can measure just over when they're less than a year and then might -- just might -- settle back down as they mature around 18 months. Usually the issue is with going oversize. A small puppy is almost always going to be small so that's easier to predict by 6 months. Most girls are done growing by their first heat.

Shelties are not an easy breed for conformation!

6. Justicemom

Justicemom Premium Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Irenes Spruce for example. Nice size pup, much smaller then Birch who was oversize but 6 months. Birch grew so fast I thought he was going to be over 18" He stopped at 9 months and then settled into 16.5"

Spruce was shown as a puppy got 10 points and a major then he started to creep. Around a year he was looking like he was close to going oversized but he lost his coat and had to stop showing for a while. He went over at 14 months. I would have to ask Irene but I think he is 17" now. I think he may have finished if he had keep his coat a couple more months.

7. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Fletcher kept skirting the top of the safe zone on the growth charts for the longest time. At nearly 10 months of age he has stabilized now at 15 1/2" and I haven't seen any new growth in 2 months. At 6 months he was 13.5".

8. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    The dog is an akita (she just stated the breed) she is an 1-2 inches too short right now. The board is still split, but most are now saying don't take the chance of dq'ing to wait another month or 2.

9. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    It is a DQ in that breed to be undersize, so yeah, I wouldn't risk it. They will measure a puppy, there are no restrictions on age.

10. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Not sure in other breeds but in Shelties they have to be atleast 13" at 6 months of age to show and under 16" which is why you see some pups that are bigger out and trying to finish before they reach the oversized.