Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy Sleeping Habits

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Claire Schachtschneider, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Claire Schachtschneider

Claire Schachtschneider Forums Novice

Nov 16, 2020
    San Francisco,CA
    Hi All -- Finley and I have a nice structured night/morning routine where she wakes up around 8 am everyday and I put down her breakfast not long after. Over the past few days I've noticed her wanting to get up even earlier and whining (even a dramatic whining/barking tantrum!) when I try to get back into bed for an hour.. Does anyone have advice as to how to stop this behavior?
    I've tried walking her when she wakes up and I've also tried giving her a chew toy or treat as a distraction, but she's relentless until I get out of bed. Simple commands are not enough now. Shelties are such a creature of habit and I want to make sure she's getting what she needs but also allowing me to sleep/rest without whining and barking for me to get out of bed! I've never had this issue with my previous sheltie.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    You said it, Claire...Shelties are creatures of habit and wicked smart at establishing the ones they want. Finley is training you! She’d like your attention when you’d like to sleep. She will continue to push you as long as you respond. As long as she’s been out and you know it’s not a potty issue, I’m guessing she wants to play and not sleep. When my Ruffles was a puppy we started at 6 am and worked our way back earlier than 5 before I figured it out.

If you crate her to sleep or put her in a pen, you just have to ignore her. It’s tough, but after a few days she’ll give in. Make her wait a few minutes longer each day until she’s on your schedule. Hang in there!

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Yep she's testing her bounds. We had this for a bit with Meadow also, and as long as it wasn't potty related (early weeks) we let her fuss a bit. She's actually really good about letting us sleep past dawn, she patiently waits.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I couldn't agree more! That's what I did with both Piper and Finnie and now they don't get up until I do! This morning I had my coffee in bed with both dogs snuggling with me. And neither one had been outside yet!

5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Same here, we had to just ignore her. Is he is 10 now, I still hear her get up on the weekends , pace around the room, and let out a little whine. But we ignore it and she goes right bp back to sleep it is like she is just checking to see if we are awake yet. This morning we woke up to her sleeping with her head under the bed covered with the bed skirt.

During the week she doesn’t even get up when the alarm goes off. She jut lays there and looks at us like “you got to be kidding me”.

6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Just to be clear, Minnie is definitely not spoiled :no:

She jumps up in my bed at about 7 and if I am not awake,
    then comes the most gentle soft little paw on my arm :hugs

I turn around and then she lies on my stomach and says good morning.
    After this we just have to look out the window.

I could never bring myself to go to bed again :o1

Instead we do the morning routine, she gets food
    I get food / coffee in the living room.

She lies down to sleep for about 1-1½ hours on the couch :winkgrin:
    and I'm taking my PC until Minnie comes to say:
    "now it's time to the morning walk" :wink2:

But then it is definitely me - who decides what we do for the rest of the day :biggrin2:

Claire - So unfortunately probably a bad advice, but it works :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    My dogs aren’t spoiled either Hanne...they’re just very well trained to my habits:lol:!
    One more week of peace and quiet and then things will change:cry::winkgrin::lol:...

Hanne, Sharon7, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    :yuckyuck:yes::winkgrin::lol:

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I was going to say, Lisa....rest up now!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Long, long go, when Layla was a puppy, she slept in a wicker crate next to my bed. At around five, my rising time, I'd dress and take her out. Once she was finished, I put her back and headed to work. Very rarely, she'd wake me with a little whine. But once I was gone, she'd go right back to sleep.
    Layla Sable, practically perfect in every way!