Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy throwing up overnight

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by ghggp, Nov 30, 2018.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    ok, so I know I have asked about this issue in previous threads but wanted start a specific title to make it easier to search on.

So, Liam had bouts of throwing up overnight when I first got him at 8 weeks. It is was recommended to give him a small meal before bed and that helped tremendously as he never did it again. Fast forward to 7 months old and he is doing it every night at 3 am!

I have been giving him a full meal just before bed in hopes it will stop. Going to get Kaopectate in hopes I can get it to stop.

https://www.cuteness.com/article/give-kaopectate-dog

Any other advice would be helpful. He is fine as far as eating and eliminating. Otherwise, totally healthy!

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    As I mentioned in your other thread Gloria, I gave Piper 1/2 of a Pepcid AC in the morning and at bedtime. The vet had prescribed something similar to pepto bismal (at his young age we couldn't use the pepto) and told me to buy the Pepcid AC. This had started when he was around 4 months old (we did the meds for 2 weeks) but started again a few months later (kinda like Liam's). I just gave him a 1/2 of a Pepcid AC in the morning and again at bedtime for a few days and it cleared it up. He was producing too much stomach acid and that's what was causing the vomiting.
    I'd make sure the kaopectate doesn't have xylitol in it as well if you go with that.
    You could call your vet and ask if you can give Liam the Pepcid AC but these were the instructions I got from my vet.
    Hope it helps, there's nothing more disruptive to your sleep when you hear that noise in the middle of the night!

ghggp likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks so much Lisa!

Yes, getting Pepcid AC!
    I really hope this clears up as it is so hard on him and me!

OK, first does in him now... Got the 10mg and cut it in half per your instructions.
    Will alter you to how he does...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's great Gloria...yes, I can understand how hard it can be on both of you! Plus us puppy moms worry so much and don't like to see our little boys not feeling good.
    It's funny but reading that article I didn't know that the AC in Pepcid AC stands for acid controller lol. Makes sense now though why the vet told me to use it (Piper would always just throw up bile) so that and the fact it was always early morning or middle of the night helped the vet diagnose too much acid.

ghggp likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Hope it worked!

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Deska used to do this, that's how I eventually found out he couldn't eat chicken. Have you tried a different food?

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Yikes, not a fun problem to have! Hope the Pepcid helps!

ghggp likes this.
  9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I think I mentioned this on your previous post. But if didn’t have you had his gallbladder checked? This happened to Hollie and we were always told it was because she had Lyme, turns out it was her gallbladder. I hope he is feeling better.

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ecstatic to report Liam and I had a blissful nights sleep! He let me sleep until 6:00! No throwing up at all!!!

Blissful, glorious sleep!

Gee, if I can get four days in a row like this I can finally get back all the sleep I lost! Great first day.

It seems to much stomach acid is the culprit!!!

Thanks Lisa!

Shelby's mom, Caro and Piper's mom like this.