Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy Treats!

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by HikerDog, Sep 9, 2019.

1. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    Much to our vet's happiness, we've finally switched Toby to Orijen from Diamond. She did recommend continuing to feed him grains even though she said Orijen will be good for him as a puppy food (he is growing so much more quickly, has much more energy, and potties much better!)

To keep grains in his diet, I started making puppy treats for the first time :nailbiting:

I mixed white rice, oatmeal, egg, and ground beef into little treat-sized balls and baked them in the over at 350 for 20 minutes. Fingers crossed that he likes them! I figured to change it up I can always use a different ground meat and pumpkin instead of egg for moisture.

Any more homemade treat recipes out there?

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm sure Toby will love them, just be sure not to overdo the treats lol. When I do treats for my two I actually just do jerky with the ground meat. I have a jerky gun (kinda like a cookie gun) and I pipe the meat into ribbons (if the meat is too lean I add an egg) onto a cookie sheet. I bake them for about 20 minutes and then I dehydrate. The dogs love them and I can avoid giving them any extra carbs (rice has almost zero fibre ) especially with Piper...those carbs go straight to his waist!

Hanne and HikerDog like this.