Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Purina pro plan focus for a puppy

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by mf123, Jan 15, 2019.

1. mf123

mf123 Forums Regular

Dec 31, 2018
    The puppy is currently being fed this. It seems to be middle of the road from what I read online. Not terrible but not great. Anyone else use it? Anyone else have other suggestions? There’s so many options at so many different price ranges.

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    i found wellness core and stuck with it since Gavin has had runny poop issues on other foods..
    I think chicken soup was OK, but then they had recalls.
    where are you? that can determine the relevant choices so we can help better :)

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I avoid Purina products because I don't like to feed fillers and byproducts. There are lots of other good puppy foods out there, and if they aren't available in your area, you can order from websites such as Chewy.com which offers free shipping and autoship deals.

I've fed Fromm Puppy Gold, Nutro, Merrick, and others over the years, but there are many others. My best advice for anyone looking for food is to read the ingredients. Meat or meat meal should be the first ingredient, followed by other whole foods and ingredients that are not wheat, corn, soy or fillers. If you do transition your puppy to a better food, make the transition over a period of a week, introducing the new food slowly so you don't cause digestive upsets.

Whatever food you consider, the key thing is to read the label and know what you're feeding. One site that rates dog food is Dog Food Advisor, and if you're not familiar with a food, it's a good idea to check their rating and comments. A good food will make all the difference in your puppy's health, growth and coat.

corbinam, ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  4. mf123

mf123 Forums Regular

Dec 31, 2018
    Pennsylvania. I’ll look into the wellness brand. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  5. mf123

mf123 Forums Regular

Dec 31, 2018
    I will check out the dog food advisor. Thank you for recommending that. You can find almost anything online if you look hard enough.

Katie’s Mom and Ann like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    We use Wellness Lamb and Barley for our adult dogs, with great results. My vet likes this brand as well. Dog Food Advisor is a fabulous resource; be sure to sign up for their recall alerts! It's discouraging how often pet food is being recalled for salmonella, listeria, too much vit D etc, etc.

Ann likes this.