Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Put a plan in place...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by ghggp, May 25, 2020.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I ran across this and thought it might be a great article to share...

coronavirus-dogs.jpg

Hanne, jomuir, Wendy C and 7 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes, I took care of a few folks in my career who were in the hospital and worried to death about their pets at home.....and this crisis has shown us how fast something can strike. Thanks Gloria for the practical reminder.

Hanne, Darren and ghggp like this.
  3. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Thanks for sharing Glroia, gives people something to think about, especially in times like these.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I actually have a 2 page write up on my pets - I did it years ago for my pet sitter and just update it once in a while. I have personality things, food things, potty things, play things all listed. I keep it taped tot he cabinet of our basement since most 'regulars' arrive through our garage and basement.

I also highly suggest having fire alert stickers on front back and sides of the house for pets in the home.

Never hurts to be prepared.....

Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Great addition to add the stickers! I have them too.
    I believe I got them on eBay years ago.

Attached Files:

6. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    If you have a monitored security system, be sure to let the company know you have pets in the house. They will notify the first responders.

Sharon7, Sandy in CT and ghggp like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Excellent point, Ricky!
    Thank you!

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    As someone who spent a lot of time in and out of hospital, having a list and knowing who to call is really critical. I can tell you there are no back up services and most hospital staff will not do anything to help your animals. I keep the lists on the side of my fridge - I don't have family around so it was sometimes a stranger who went in, on the fridge is the easiest place.
    Also, I don't know about where you guys live, but over here we have 'Medicare cards' which are usually the first thing hospitals want to see. I've put a sticker on it with my allergies and also 'I have pets at home'. Thinking about it, I should probably have an emergency contact for the pets with it. I did this after a friend was hit by a car when walking her dog and never regained consciousness. She'd made no preparations and left no info so I had to do a lot of research. It was lucky the dog was with her at the time because it would have been a while before police entered her home and found the dog.

Hanne, Sharon7, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, Caro... what a devastating situation for your friend! Something I would have never considered until your post! Thanks

10. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    When I was a groomer at a vet clinic, I had a client with serious health problems who died at home alone with her toy poodle. Finally, when someone went in, they found her body and the dog sitting by her. They ended up calling the clinic I worked at because she had her appointment card for the next groom on the counter. One thing led to the next and it turned out my client had left money in her will for her dog’s care. Bubbles was adopted and spent the rest of her life traveling in an RV with a retired couple. Thank goodness there was a plan for this little dog because she was a senior and who knows what would’ve happened to her.

Sharon7, RikyR and ghggp like this.