Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puzzles????

Discussion in 'Toys' started by tesslynn, May 23, 2015.

1. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Kaleigh likes to hunt for her treats. I have put her special treats in all kinds of boxes for her to discover. This is serious entertainment for her. Her favorite is ring boxes-the somewhat furry hinged types, or the unchildproof pill bottles. I love to watch her, she will sit or lay with the new container and just stare at it. Makes me wonder what is going through her doggie brain-is she part engineer or what:lol: Then she attacks it with gusto, until she gains access, and she is all pleased with herself, she will eat the treat and then bark. She is NOT a barker, it is a "hey mom-I tackled it and got the prize" little glee woof.

She is my peaceful observer girl. Have y'all found any dog puzzle toys that your shelties really liked? That held their attention?

2. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    It's not a bought puzzle, but Blaze likes it. I take a tea towel and fold Blaze's kibble in it--pieces at a time until it's finally about the size of a fist. Then I take the folded towel with kibble and put it in a small box (heavy cardboard) with a hinged lid then present it to Blaze (who is now twirling and hopping.) He bats it around until he gets the box open and the tea towel unfolded to get his breakfast.

Throughout the day I might put a couple treats or a ball in that box. He bats that box around with the same gusto.

3. tesslynn

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    I should try that, sounds fun, thanks! I need rainy day activities AGAIN...I am so sick of rain, t-storms, hail, and puddles I can hardly stand it, and the girls aren't liking this flood season where they can't really do anything but wade in cold water either.

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    tesslynn -ring boxes-, sounds like a great ide' it must be tried out.
    (really hope I did not get them thrown out when I cleaned up) :sadsmile:

5. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I've found cardboard boxes of varying sizes is great, I stack them inside of each other with the treat in the smallest, I'll stuff pillows or to us on top so honey has to remove those first.

We also love milk jugs, they're easy for honey to pick up by the handle and shake around. I want to find a light weight ball that will hold its shape if I cut it up and make it into a treat dispensing tetherball...but I haven't found one yet. Honey loves playing with tether balls though, and its great for her to play with younger kids with.

I

6. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I've used a number of different puzzles with my dogs; in fact I just started Keiran out with puzzles last week.

I have things like a tug-a-jug, buster cube, food pyramid (I specifically have the Nina Ottosson one but Kong also makes one), and a number of Nina Ottosson games (I still want the Min-Max one). I know folks who have taken the Hol-ee Roller balls and some strips of fleece fabric, hid treats in the fabric and pushed it into the center of the Hol-ee Roller for the dog to pull out. (I was thinking of doing this with Keiran.)

Can you tell I love puzzle games?

7. tesslynn

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Can you tell I love puzzle games?[/QUOTE]

I think Kaleigh really likes a challenge mentally...Savannah is content with a chewee, but Kaleigh really likes to work for it...and I want her to be happy, so I like to try to stimulate her lil brain, because she gets excited when she figures it out.

Thanks for the suggestions...it makes me grin to spoil my fur kids...

8. tesslynn

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    so like a bigger whiffle ball??? that could be used as a tether ball... is that what you are seeking???

9. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    ohhhh! That is the perfect solution! Yay! Thanks, I totally forgot that those were a thing!

10. jumba

jumba Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2013
    Fl
    We have two puzzle boxes for her - both store bought. One is a star shape that she has to turn, and the other has little lids she has to lift and then turn. She couldn't get them at first, but she just got both of them figured out this week.

Hubby is going to make the one we saw on Youtube. It was three soda bottles with a rod in the middle and the dog has to turn the bottles all the way upside down to get the treats :)