Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rabbit Run at the National!

Discussion in 'Handling Chat' started by tofu pup, Apr 16, 2011.

1. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to start this thread as a place to keep all of you updated on my, Ann's, and my mom's (that would be user missjenneygirl) adventures at the 2011 ASSA national in St. Louis, MO. We're all very excited for you to be able to "join" us for the week!

I'll take a moment to introduce the cast of characters - there's

Ann, who you all know from the Forum, who just started showing her dog Checkers this past Fall. This will be Ann's first national, and she will be showing Checkers herself!

Checkers, Rabbit Run Game Face, is Ann's much-loved show dog. Checkers was born and grew up at Rabbit Run, and we are very pleased that she is Ann's first conformation-ring partner. They've been doing so well together!

Connie (that's "Mom" to me! and missjenneygirl here), who has been showing and breeding Shelties for 22 years. This will be her... hmm... 15th national? Mom organizes, plans, takes care of details, and knows what's what. She's amazing (and also much more fun than I am!).

Tansy, Rabbit Run Fun and Games, is Checkers's daughter and our Open Sable and White bitch entry this year. She's fun, silly, smart, and really pretty.

Izzy, Rabbit Run Serenade, is from another side of the family (though related to Tansy and Checkers), and will be our 9-12 Month Sable and White Bitch entry. Izzy is even sillier than Tansy.

and

Megan (that's me!). It's my 12th national or thereabouts (do Collie nationals count? I have some of those, too!). I show the dogs. (I'm also pretty good at walking the dogs, feeding the dogs, grooming the dogs, and driving the dogs back and forth between the show site and the hotel - but showing the dogs is my reason for getting up every morning during the week of the national.) I love being in the big ring, and I love having the chance to show my dogs to their greatest potential. I can't wait to get in the ring on Monday!

So: I just got an update from Ann and Mom, and Day 1 has gone very well - they left Connecticut this morning and drove 631 miles to western Ohio, where they will stay the night before continuing on to St. Louis. (I'll be flying out of Philadelphia tomorrow.)

The dogs are all traveling well. Izzy wears a little baby bib to keep herself clean while she rides (she gets carsick and drools... and drools... and drools...) but decided to take it off somewhere between CT and OH. Sadly, she was unable to put it back on... sic transit baby bib! Fortunately, she'll be getting a bath before she shows.

Mom and Ann even ran into some other national-goers at their hotel - but not from "our" national! These were people traveling East from the Collie Club of America's national specialty, which wrapped up today in Tulsa, Oklahoma. (I hear they had an eventful week - everyone had to seek shelter during a tornado warning, and there were hailstones the size of grapes!) The forecast for St. Louis isn't fantastic this week, but hopefully we won't see anything so dramatic.

I'm signing off for tonight - tomorrow I'll be posting again, this time from St. Louis! See you there! :biggrin2:

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Good luck to everyone- You're making me excited to hear all the news :yes:
    don't forget pix and vids :smile2:

3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Glad your mom and Ann made it safe to Ohio!! I'll see you all monday afternoon!!!!!!!!!!! :smile2: have a safe flight!!! I have to start packing soon, ive been procrastinating all day long...

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Good luck everyone. I look forward to hearing about your adventures.:smile2:

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Good luck, Megan, Connie and Ann! I feel as if I have a ringside seat! Is Alexandra Luhrs-Briggs there from Norwood?

Y'all sucked the Sheltie life out of the big Harrisburg show -- there were about five Shelties! :rolleyes2:

6. RonandJan

RonandJan Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    MMM here....

Good luck to all of YOU: Mummy Checkers, Miss Ann, Tansy, Izzy, Miss Connie and of course to you too, Miss Megan.

What's round on both ends and high in the middle?

O-hi-O..............get it? HaHaHaHaHa. I crack myself up!

Ohio is great, isn't it!!! My Jan's parents live there!

Keep us posted. Tell Mummy she is the prettiest!

McKinley

7. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Can't wait to read more and see pictures! Good luck, Team Rabbit Run!

So it's an all-girls team this year? :winkgrin:

8. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Im showing Noah...but hes the only boy...shhh dont tell him :winkgrin:

9. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I imagine she will be; I don't think she's missed a national in years!

Mr. McKinley, if it's even possible, I think you might be even sillier than Izzy and Tansy put together! You are too cute!

I shouldn't have left out

Noah, Rabbit Run Face Value, who is also a Checkers kid (and Tansy's littermate) who will be shown by his mom Linda in Open S&W dogs on Friday! This will be Linda's first national as an exhibitor, too (I believe? correct me if I'm wrong!).

10. Loonasea

Loonasea Forums Novice

Aug 3, 2010
    Connecticut
    Team Rabbit Run

Good luck to Team Rabbit Run. Thanks for keeping all of us informed of your progress.

Barclay's Dad and a Rabbit Run Groupie