Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rally Novice A

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Sandy in CT, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Registered and competed yesterday in a Rally Novice A competition. Figured we may as well see what it was like to compete, get that first one under the belt, get out the first time jitters, etc. We had NO idea what to expect since we hadn't even watched any Rally other than videos here on SN. Brodie has become quite the barker when seeing other dogs out and about so I lost 2 nights sleep thinking we would be DQ'd for excessive barking. Well, the boy surprised me...

He barked once in the car as we drove in and then not a peep, for 6 hours! My trainer suggested we get there at the lunch break to get him settled in, see how he reacted to everything. I swear the boy is SO smart, he watches dogs around him all the time. They did not bark, so neither did Brodie! It was a LONG day, we could have shown up at 3, not at noon, we didn't get packed int he car until 6:30 and then had a long drive home.

We placed SECOND!!!! We got marked down for 3 out of positions - once he got distracted right before a 360 and I should have called his attention and it would have been avoided. Once he got distracted by a scent along the wall that was getting everyone's attention - his wasn't all that bad but he did lose a point for it. We lost a point for a slow response for a down - knew that one was coming, and I think there was one slow response for a sit right before his distracted penalty.

This is us....

And a few pics...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, a huge congrats on your second place finish!
    Outstanding effort!!!
    Good boy Brodie you made your family proud!
    Great video and pictures

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Huge congratulations, Sandy and Brodie! Love the pictures, and what a proud dad too! You two did a great job! :D

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Congratulations! Fantastic job!

Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
  6. TheDailyPainter