Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rally Question

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Watson's Mom, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I'm sure if I should have put this here or other sports...

Watson just turned 3, I had considered trying agility with him but he has kind of iffy hips already and I don't want to push that issue. He has seemed so far to enjoy or basic obedience and CGC classes and though it takes us what seems like FOREEEEVER to get good at things, he does and he works hard for me.

Did we miss the boat on getting started with rally with his age?

2. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    It is certainly not too late to start him in rally. You'll both have lots of fun. Basic obedience was the perfect start. Go for it!!

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    never too late to get started....
    got my first sheltie when she was 5 or so-she also had bad hips but she got her Rally Novice title in 3 shots when she was maybe 9 or so. she also let me know that Rally Advanced was not for her:winkgrin:

4. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Oh, I don't doubt that this little dude will let me know when he has had enough... I've seen the stubborn streak he can have sometimes when we go over his attention span limit on a certain thing, he gets really really good at "down" and not much else. :gaah

5. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Certainly go for it! Trace & I had so much fun doing Rally - he earned his way up to RE quickly. I plan on doing the same with Baker. It's more fun than Obedience (IMO) and I didn't have to embarrass myself by running in public. :lol:

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I taught Melli all the stations and she is 5+ years and only spoke Spanish! She heels horribly and is too carsick to travel much so we finished her with a CGC and left it at that. I don't think it is too late.

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Go for it! I started Rally with Edan when he was 5 and we compete in two different Rally venues AKC and WCRL (World Cynosport Rally League). WCRL use to be APDT Rally until a few years ago when USDAA purchased it from APDT.

WCRL is definitely more challenging that AKC but we have fun with both venues. I've heard good things about C-WAGS also.

8. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    I'm encouraged by all of you who got your dogs started later on in adulthood. I have had such great luck with bonding and boosting Watson's confidence through basic obedience classes that I think going beyond that will help him even more. Especially now I think doing all the confidence boosting activities we can will help him through this.

We have started playing the "touch game" again... nothing really hard obviously, but he does seem to love trotting around to whatever it is I am asking him to touch. We've been doing a bit of sit, down, and stay too now that he's been feeling better. I'm leery of letting him get to active yet with the one puncture not healing as well as the others because of the high amount of movement in the area... at least I can tire him out and keep him stimulated this way... He's not a big chewer or toy kind of dog.

9. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    A few different dog sports you can look into that are easy on the hips, but offer different challenges, are nose work, barn hunts, and treibball.

Anything you do with Watson will be a great bonding experience for you. The most important thing is the time together not so much the "what".

10. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Treiball looks like fun! Her certainly does like to chase things... thankfully only one cat is dumb enough go running through the house. Coincidentally... he is the only cat that ever gets chased.:lol: