Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rally Training

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by k9kreationz, Oct 5, 2010.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Oh me oh my. I have a lot of work to do with Miko. He won't down on command, he won't allow me to walk around him, and dangit, not doing so well on going around me to get into heel (after being in front of me).

I had a private training the other day. It was good, she helped me with some rules, and things we need to practice on. Gave me some training tips. That helped a lot. Especially since he likes to sit far far away from me in a heel. Is it true? She said she sees that in Shelties a lot. lol. Darn it. This dog responds to pressure so wonderfully whereas Koji, nope, not one bit. I need that in agility. Not rally!

I have 1 month, 1 week to get Miko ready for rally. On the upside, my trainer said she thinks where we are today, we could do novice. If he keeps up, we could even Q. We figure I have 2 signs to fail and will get points deducted for his funky sits and lagging. :( Gotta work on those things. It's 70, right? To Q?

This trial should be interesting. I'll be running Koji in agility and Miko in Rally. I'm crazy.

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    You are correct. It is 70 to Qualify. Bailey had trouble sitting next to me in heel position and had crooked fronts.

Practicing next to a wall has helped with that. Sometimes she still has crooked fronts. We have to work on that before our next trial.

3. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes it true shelties like to sit far away and they like to rock sit which causes them to sit farther back. I was working with Diva today as she needed a sanity break and we did a recall. It wa perfect except she sat 2 ft out. I point close to my legs and she scooted in nice and close. She got this look on her face like "oh yeah!:smile2:"

Keep working you'll get there. A month is a long time.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    You can do it!

I'm living vicariously through you :)

Does your club offer agility and rally classes? That's really nice. Ours only does agility (USDAA, at that). If they offered rally, I don't think I'd be able to resist!

5. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Okay, so it's not just me then. Miko is in perfect heel position so when I tell him to sit. He's behind me. LOL. I think he takes a step back then sits. Koji would be great at this if he could heel. He's much more obedient. I think it's due to clicker training, but Miko is catching on fast.

Uh-oh. When we have the sign where they're supposed to sit in front of you, they can't be 2ft out? Or is that a "recall" thing?

A month is long? Are you sure? LOL. sure feels long when I'm training everyday. And ohmigod, the ruckus Koji makes when I train Miko. You'd think he was dying. :rolleyes2: (and yes, the door is closed)

6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    LOL. Let's see if I can do this. It's easier when one is learning agility and the other is doing rally. Can't imagine doing both with one dog. I just think Miko deserves a real title (like Koji). Even if he hates me for it. :uhoh:

I don't have a club, but our training facility used to have rally. I just contacted the woman I had taken lessons from awhile back (with Miko). So she's doing private ones for me. Otherwise, I have no clue where I'd go. No one is really teaching rally.

Oh trust me, I know about resisting. My training facility offers a lot of things. They even do scent work. I was thinking about doing that with Koji (since he can smell food, like a shark smells blood), but thought, what if I undo his agility training. So I haven't done anything else unless approved by my trainer.

FYI, not sure if it matters. I was telling my agility trainer about the rally trial. She was like, "what! You are NOT teaching Koji rally!!!" I said, "stop worrying, it's Miko". And she said, "oh, okay then". She wasn't mad, but more like NO NO NO don't do it. Because in rally, you have to teach your dog to basically blind cross you. And we train Derrett, so blind crosses are a HUGE no no. Especially since Koji does it to me sometimes (bad boy). So no rally for Koji....ever. LOL. Just something to think about too. Like I said not sure if it matters to you, but it does for us.

7. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    they have to be close enough that you can touch their head without moving your feet. That's the definition of a front. So in any exercise in rally or obedience that the dog is required to do a front(sit in front of you) they must be that close. I can reach 2 ft but you will lose points. But they can't touch you either. Justice something likes to bang into me on fronts. Check 1 point off if he is straight ,more if he isn't.:smile2:

8. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ah but a obedience dog only crosses behind your when you tell them. Any other time is worng., bad dog.:lol:

It is just like conformation people telling you never teaching a breed dog to sit for fear that they will sit in the ring during the judging. Dogs aren't that stupid, just teach them to stand and don't sit unless you tell them. Teach the dog it is never ok to cross behind you unless you tell them.:smile2:

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Very interesting. I hear a lot of similar stuff. Lexi is in a CGC class right now, and I happened to tell our training director. She didn't get mad...but she was like "Why?" And I told her that I wanted Lexi to get her CGC, and that she needed work walking on a loose leash. My trainer said that one time Lynne Stephens (http://www.doglogictraining.com/our-team.php) told her that agility dogs don't walk well on a leash...because they should be walking/working ahead of you at all times.

I think that one mistake we made with Bentley was too focus really strongly on obedience at first (of course we didn't know we were going to do agility). Not to say that all dogs are like this, but he is almost too "with" us, and always looking for the next command. Lexi started with agility, and she runs with reckless abandon (of course she also sucks at loose leash walking, haha!)

10. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    I hope the Novice judge is VERY lenient. Cuz from this, it sounds like I'll be walking away with 10 points. :eek2:

Okay, I'll work on him coming a bit closer. Right now, he's about 2 feet away. I'd have to bend over to touch him and REACH.