Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rawhide rolls made in USA?

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by SRW, Feb 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I've been looking for some large rawhide rolls made in the USA for Devon, and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get some. Devon's a huge chewer, so I need a rawhide roll meant for a big dog (say a foot long and really thick). So far, my choices are rolls made in China, Vietnam, Brazil, or Columbia, none of which are inspiring from a food safety point of view.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We learned to be sure to watch while they chew. Bits nearly choked herself with one.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I used to really like these:

https://www.earthanimal.com/p/no-hide-chicken-4-inch-chews/

Made in the USA, and not actually rawhide. Elise isn't a fan of bully sticks, so this was a good alternative for her.

The other day I was training the puppy for a bit and gave each of the dogs a bone. I was gone for maybe 5 minutes. Came back and Elise had unrolled the stick and had a piece stuck in her throat. She wasn't choking, but she wasn't far from it. So those are off the list :(

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've tried all the alternatives and either my dogs eat them in under a minute or they don't like them, so I've gone to US-made rawhide. You can look for Castor and Pollux Good Buddy rawhide, available on Chewy here as well as some other websites. It's one that my dogs actually like and eat, and the chews last for more than a few minutes!

As Chris said, we never leave rawhide around or in crates when we're not home or able to supervise. If you have an aggressive chewer (like one of mine) they swallow big pieces and I've had to fish it out of a throat more than once. This is true of any chew though.

6. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
  7. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Devon has given two thumbs up to the rawhide rolls mentioned above and is busily chewing away at the first one I gave him. They are sort of expensive relative to other rawhides, but I feel a whole lot better giving him something to chew on that was made in the USA versus overseas.

8. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    We bought some that was made in the USA also, yes we can feel better about that. I got mine
    at Meijers grocery store. They have great prices and great doggie items.