Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rear dew claws

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by xerospin, Jan 11, 2014.

1. xerospin

xerospin Forums Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2010
    Taiwan
    I once heard someone say shelties with rear dew claws must not be pure bred but have something mixed in them. Is this true? I just saw a litter on fb today that had rear dew claws but is from a quality kennel.

I have not met a Sheltie with rear dew claws however, in my area.

2. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    Rear dew claws should be removed and they are optional to be removed in front.

3. xerospin

Dec 11, 2010
    Taiwan
    I see. So some lines do have them then. They can still be pure bred if they have rear dew claws then? I just hate it when someone thinks they know it all and then tell you the WRONG FACTS....but I hate myself more for believing her :dead:

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Most puppies are born with dewclaws, which are removed right after birth or within a few days. My purebred Sheltie litter all had them when they were born and most Sheltie puppies that I know of do as well. Most breeders do the removal themselves shortly after birth.

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    All of my Shelties except Birch had rear dewclaws when their were born. Justice even had double rear dewclaws.

Birch's Dad Grizz does not seem to throw rear dewclaws(he did not have rear dewclaws). Diva had a puppy with them in every litter including 2 with Grizz. So I think having no dewclaws is recessive and there is some incomplete dominance in expression.

Rear dewclaws should be removed in shelties and all responsible breeders remove them before 4 days. SO unless you where there or ask you will not know who had rears at birth. But yes shelties born with rear dewclaws are purebred.

6. xerospin

Dec 11, 2010
    Taiwan
    thank you for all your replies! I knew coming to here to ask anyting sheltie is the way to go :lol: you guys are awesome! it's like sheltipedia here.

ajax has both front dew claws, his breeder doesnt remove them for some reason. Alfie has HALF a front dew claw that grows at an angle because it wasnt removed properly and I have to clip it every few weeks or it grows into his paw....:uhoh:

7. Gina

Gina Forums Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2010
    Florida
    In my litter of 5, only 2 had rear dewclaws and they were removed. So I guess the other 3 were purebred and those 2 weren't :lol: Just kidding... That is a very silly statement that person made. I wonder where they came up with that.

8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Hollie had all 4 which we removed when she was spayed since they weren't done when she was born. It was painful for her.

Shelby's were removed when born but one front one grew back. We never had to removed. Just one more nail to trim. I didn't see any reason to have it removed.