Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

recommendation for boarding a sweet Sheltie on Long Island

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by sheltielover17, Jul 19, 2021.

1. sheltielover17

sheltielover17 Forums Regular

Sep 17, 2014
    New York
    I have a lovely, sweet, 7 year old Sheltie, Kenzie. I always had family members come to my home in Northport, LI to puppy sit her, but sadly, my last family member died unexpectedly in March due to Covid. I just went to CA to see my new grandson and hired a woman I've known for years to stay overnight with Kenzie. Kenzie was afraid to go near her harness at all for the 2 days this lady stayed with her; hence, no walks - thank goodness she has a large, fenced yard to run around in and do her business. Luckily, my daughter flew home and took care of her for the rest of my trip.
    I get titers, not vaccinations for her, except rabies, which I know puts her at a disadvantage with most boarding facilities. I am reluctant to give her the kennel cough vaccine, but would love to hear your comments. Maybe you know of a reliable, kind person who takes Shelties in their home? Or maybe you know an honest, kind person who would come to my home?? I am aware of one young lady who will come to my home, but I find her $75/night a bit steep. However, maybe that is the going rate?
    I see that she is a sensitive pup and I do not want to upset her in any way - like I feel I did using the woman I used this time. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions, etc.

Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    We're on the other coast so no concrete help here. I myself use a petsitter who is fabulous with my Shelties, she started with us years ago and they have all loved her. We know we're really fortunate. I think all kennels require vaxs for boarding, but maybe they would consider a titer result, I don't know. Hopefully someone closer to you might be able to give more advice. BTW $75 a night seems steep to me too - I think it's more like $50 - 60 here. But maybe worth it if she is stellar.

Just a caution - keep in mind the flight risk of most Shelties in a strange situation, make sure anyone staying in your home doesn't just open the front door and walk out to get the mail or whatever and leave the door open - etc. I would also consider a GPS device for the dog's collar if you leave her with someone.

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I feel for you! If I lived near you I would most certainly help!

Can you contact the breeder? My Liam could go back to the breeder for boarding! Also, ask your vet! I am sure they have many clients with shelties that might lend a hand. Also, try contacting rescues in your area. They work with fosters all the time and they might be able to help. Good luck

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I NEVER travel. I could never be separated from my boys. Unrealistic for most people! I guess I am just a homebody!

I had a friend that needed a hand with his senior blind and deaf golden that had diabetes! I had her at my house for two weeks. I had to learn to give her injections! Not my most favorite thing to do! I hate needles! All worked out well until one day she decided to take a swim in my Koi pond! It was in the fall and getting cold! I raced over to pull her out and dry her off. Otherwise, her stay was uneventful. I have a 6ft LOCKED stockade fence! No one is getting in or out!

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes! GPS collar! Make sure it is fully charged! I use Whistle.

Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  6. sheltielover17

Sep 17, 2014
    New York
    Thanks, Sharon! I appreciate your thoughts - you ARE very lucky to have a great person to watch your Shelties! BTW, I have a baby gate by my front door so Kenzie can't just 'sneak' out :)

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  7. sheltielover17

Sep 17, 2014
    New York
    Thanks for your ideas! The breeder is in another state but I could try her! I will also ask the vet - and your rescue idea is a good idea as well! Thanks, too, for your kind offer to help if you were nearby:)

8. sheltielover17

Sep 17, 2014
    New York
    I 'hear' you about travel! If my son and his wife hadn't had a baby (my first grandchild) I probably would not have gone to CA!

9. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Great suggestions. We have boarded over the years with some better successes than others. Our Vet has stopped offering Kennel Cough so we have to consider what our options would be if we needed to board at the facility we last used as they require not only the vaccines which the girls are current on but kennel cough.

We are fortunate to have short term coverage with family and friend locally but we need to board when it is a family event that includes the person that generally comes to stay with the girls. With COVID it hasn't really crossed my mind much but the Vet told us this Spring during the annuals we'd have to get Kennel Cough at the Vet hospital if we needed it so it is something we have to consider if we need future care.

Our Vet does have boarding but it is more like solitary confinement. We've used it in emergencies on rare occasions when the girls had to be in a safe place but couldn't be here but each dog has its own run and sleeping area which is really hard on my social Shelties. They aren't allowed to board together which is even harder on my bonded dogs.

10. sheltielover17

Sep 17, 2014
    New York
    Those are also good points, thanks. I don't want Kenzie in a small, confined space with just the 'opportunity' to get out a bit and run with other pups. I guess she's been spoiled and I like it that way! I think she'd get depressed.