Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Refusal to eat Purina Pro Plan ... new development

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by CAllen, Nov 4, 2019.

1. CAllen

CAllen Forums Novice

Jul 12, 2019
    My 9 month old Sheltie, Dakota, has in the last couple days, turned up his nose at the Purina Pro Plan that he's been eating all his life. Do the puppies sometimes revolt against one flavor over another? Should I try another flavor/dog food? Any suggestions are welcome.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, many of my dogs from time to time have refused to eat their normal food.

you could try adding another brand to the normal food to see if that would entice Dakota. If you switch too suddenly tummy upset can happen. Can you try adding pumpkin? A spoonful perhaps?

If a hunger strike continues please do see your vet. Good luck and let us know how it goes...

I am sure others can offer some advice too!

Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    When Piper was around that age he became very picky! He would often leave food in his bowl or take hours to eat. When he was a little over a year I stopped free feeding (that's what I'd resorted to, just leaving the food in the bowl all day) and I started only giving him 10 minutes to eat before I'd remove the food. Within a week he was gobbling it up.
    You could always try adding something to the food...how about canned sardines? Good for them and it wouldn't take more than one sardine mushed up to add zing to the kibble. My guys loves sardines. Or even chicken broth might help.

Sharon7, Ann and ghggp like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've found this too with some of my dogs around this age. I would switch foods. There are a number of other Purina varieties you can try...their Beyond line is higher quality food. Make the transition gradually if you can, but if he picks out the old food just give him the new one but keep an eye on him and consider adding a spoon of plain, canned pumpkin to each meal.

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  5. pomshe

pomshe Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I add warm chicken bone broth to my three's breakfast and they love it! It is Nature's Logic brand. It comes in a powder. I just spoon a little on their kibble, pour some warm water over it and stir. They wolf it down. Their dinner is just dry kibble. That way they think they are getting something different all the time!:)

Ann likes this.
  6. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    I think Cooper was around 7 months when this happened. I added the pumpkin and he has been fine since. :)

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Thanks for this tip! I'm going to try this for Barkley who is getting picky about his food again. It's great to have something new in my arsenal! :yes:

8. CAllen

CAllen Forums Novice

Jul 12, 2019
    Thank you, everyone, for your recommendations! He loves pumpkin and I will have the Nature's Logic on hand, and a small bag of Purina Beyond.

Ann likes this.
  9. pomshe

pomshe Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Bone broth is good for them too. It has glucosamine and chondroiton (sp?) in it. Plus it gets some more fluids in them.

Ann likes this.