Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Remy's Rewards

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Bill Porter, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Bill Porter

Bill Porter Premium Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Howdy Folks,

Our sweet Remy is a high energy machine and loves to chew on things. I recently purchased some type of natural Bully Stick from our local store (Nat. Pawz) which was expensive ($40 for 3 foot long chews) which Remy devoured the first one in very short order - so we closely monitored the other 2 and took them away after an hour or so.

We've been real worried about protecting his teeth & gums from injury as well as the quality and digestibility of the chews we give him. The puppy is a chewing machine and needs something safe we can leave with him for a bit. Why types of things do you guys use to treat the chewers in your households?

Thank you for your time.

Bill

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I know of some who've soaked the kibble in water and then placed it in a kong and frozen it. The puppy then gets to work at getting the frozen kibble out. Not many things that I'd be comfortable leaving my dog with to chew when I'm not there but I'd be ok with a stuffed Kong, too many things could go wrong with bully sticks or other chews.

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I agree totally!
    I have used the frozen kibble in the Kong for Liam as a pup. Worked great!

Also, I have used these...
    https://www.amazon.com/Benebone-Wishbone-Durable-Aggressive-Chewers/dp/B00CPDWT2M

Here is a link to another thread on this same topic
    https://sheltieforums.com/threads/favorite-chew-toys-or-bones.28370/

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Gloria, are those Benebones something they actually digest, or just chew on? My guys love bully sticks but these look like a good alternative.

Bill Porter and Piper's mom like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    3255D3A5-B16B-49FE-8C03-F3BD134F46FE.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Bill Porter, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Bill Porter and ghggp like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Bill Porter

Jun 6, 2020
    Other than frozen kibble in the Kong, there just aren't that many chewable, digestible, strong but soft enough not to break teeth dog chewing items out there. I'm thinking some kind of really hard all natural jerky must the only safe solution. Remy is going to aggressively chew something down and swallow whatever he can. Even though Bully Sticks are supposed to be too hard for his teeth, that boy can take the largest one they make and devour it in under 2-3 hours. Every day is a new day with our little devil :)

TheDailyPainter likes this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  10. Bill Porter

Jun 6, 2020

Piper's mom likes this.