Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Remy's Set to be Neutered :-(

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Bill Porter, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Bill Porter

Bill Porter Premium Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Howdy Folks,

I can't believe our puppy is about to turn ONE on the 25th. He's been doing fine since the end of the summer with us. He's still an incredibly high strung dog, but we are able to control him better as he understands more and more. His vet is having $100 Off neutering on Friday the 22nd, so we've scheduled our big fella for that date. He'll be almost a year old then.

Remy is probably around 35lbs right now and appears quite healthy. We neutered our first Sheltie way too early and he had hip dysplasia and kidney problems. So I'm really nervous about the timing of Remy's appointment. Remy tries to hump my wife and daughters and also some of our furry blankets that are lying around the house. It's all harmless but the ladies would like him to get fixed sooner rather than later.

I remember someone in here saying that racing owners wait until 18 months before neutering so the hips can fully develop, etc. Turning to the internet confused me because some say it's good and some say it's bad.

Would really appreciate your input on this subject as I have found this Forum to be the most credible source of Sheltie information. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Bill (& Remy)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I discussed with my (retired) vet of over 40 years experience. He is a dear friend. He said he recommends Shelties be spayed (females) between 11 and 12 months, so we had Meadow done yesterday. She is born 1/27. I know folks on here have said 18 months for males. We had our only boy ever, Elijah neutered at a little over 13 months. I know someone on here with a male pup had to neuter at about 8 months old due to relentless marking in the house.

It seems to be an evolving thing, when to have them fixed. If you can stand to wait until 18 months it can do no harm. If he's really bad about the humping, as long as he's at least a year old I personally wouldn't worry too much. Hope this helps - I'm sure you'll hear from others with male Shelties.

Hanne, Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  3. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Since Remy is a year old, I don’t think you should worry too much whatever you decide.

Kip is 18 months old and still intact. I do agility with him and I’m extra cautious about neutering. A physical therapist told me Sheltie growth plates are usually closed around 14 months. I waited till 18 months just to be sure, and now I might wait till after 2.

Kip was a terrible humper but he’s actually gotten much better the last several months. I wish I could say I trained him to stop but he actually started doing it less on his own. I don’t know why. Overall he’s a good boy

4. Bill Porter

Jun 6, 2020
    Well, our vet is the one that recommended doing it at a year old but I don't really trust any one person on this subject. I take everyone's input and try to come up with an answer myself. I don't want to hurt my dog or potentially hurt him by neutering too soon. I've had people tell me that 12 months is a good time to do it but as some have written in here, 18 months might be better for his health. My family can put up with the humping for another 6 months if it will make a material difference in Remy's overall health.

Piper's mom, Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Beckon is 11, and he's still intact. Didn't stop his cancer.

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I wanted to wait on Brodie, but he began marking. It all started with marking Kooper's pee spots. Then he began marking the back of our house, all along the back, sliding glass doors were a favorite of his. He marked inside once, then twice, the 3rd time time the vet was called. When Brodie marked, it was in front of my husband and I - he was a dog that was potty trained for the most part - I say most part because he was young and they can go through stages of rebellion with peeing. I wanted to wait, but I also did not want a marking dog - our vet was supportive of us either way we went. Brodie was 9 1/2 months old when neutered. Brodie has been training for agility, but I am conscious of jump heights and the surface he is on - we practice in our yard. We feed him Nature's Farmacy Dogzymes Complete daily which is a combo of their pro-biotic supplement as well as their skin and coat as well as their bone supplement. It's a dry supplement that I sprinkle on his nightly kibble.

The day he was neutered, he reverted to a squat for peeing. He currently does a combo move; squats, then lifts his left leg towards the end. He is a pee in place dog though, has only lifted his leg on a tree once in the almost year and a half since his neutering. We've never had a humping issue with him - a simple no-no would stop the hump in its tracks and he no longer even tries. Our Kooper is a neutered male that humps Brodie every chance he gets - it's a perceived dominance thing with him. We shall see what behavior #3 brings into play.

With neutering, you do what you feel is best - there is no right and no wrong thing to do. You make choices that are best for your pupper, your family and you don't look back and don't second guess yourself. You know your dog. Best of luck with your decision!

When you do 'do the deed', we opted for an inflatable collar over the cone like shown in the link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q6PKRP1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 We did have a problem with the plastic buckle, Brodie chewed it off, so we used a carabiner clip. We left it on 24/7 - it didn't bother him and in fact he used it as a pillow. It was VERY tough to keep him quiet for 2 weeks - he loves fetch and we did end up playing small games of tossing a stick maybe 5 feet so he could play somewhat.

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Bill Porter

Jun 6, 2020
    Thank you for all that information. We're probably going to go through with it at 12 months in part because it's a good time for me to be home and take care of him while he heals. I love that "travel pillow" you got for your pups but Remy would rip that off and eat it within the first 5 minutes. And I mean, rip, chew and swallow. He is truly the most undisciplined Sheltie probably ever. Which is odd because I'm quite the disciplinarian :-(

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Their collar feeds through the inside straps of the pillow - there is no way they can rip it off. We erred in how we put it on, allowing the buckle to be right under his snout so he did get access to that. Even with the buckle chewed, the collar stayed on and did it's job. Next time, I will flip the pillow around to have the buckle area behind the ears - lesson learned.

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I ended up waiting 18 months before I had Liam neutered. Everything I read said their growth plates are not closed until that time! I was able to wait as he never humped or marked in the house! Correction... he tried it once and was scolded for doing so.
    Thank goodness he never repeated it! He never went after his stitches either! Got him a onesie and he had that on for a few days and after that he was fine. Hopefully, your experience will be as non eventful. Good luck

Piper's mom, Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    There was that recent study of impact of desexing age on different breeds which found that the age of neutering didn't make a difference to joint issues.

I was reading people talking about making a collar from a pool noodle, not sure how it works though. I just used singlet tops and onesies. When Tully had her hip done I got her a recovery cape.

Nowadays you can actually buy 'recovery suits' which are basically onesies with the privates area covered. Personally I think you should get Remy this

71p1hAZYToL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/Alfie-Pet-Petoga-Couture-Recovery/dp/B01LA2CE14?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.