Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Research - adolescent dogs really are difficult

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Caro, May 13, 2020.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    For those of us either in, or heading into adolescence, there's a new study about adolescent dogs, and how they don't listen, seem to forget their learning, and can have a difficult relationship with their parents - just like the human teens! Of course, anyone who's gone through doggy adolescence will know this, esp if they went through a difficult one.

They found, like humans, dogs had a phase of increased conflict with carer, and were more likely to follow commands of people other than their carer. Those dogs with less secure attachments (incl seperation anxiety) actually had an earlier puberty and heightened conflict.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...BzkJzUiaBpnhGeZsP2r6xicF36vHhrKTgHHvvqCzVIvS8

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2020.0097

Darren, Piper's mom, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Very very interesting, not looking forward to that phase at all, but Meadow definitely does not have separation anxiety nor is she dependent on one of us. She is easy, breezy, carefree and confident at the moment. Does not mind being left out in the yard by herself while we are all inside (I can watch her from windows/door easily). So we shall see how her teenage years unfold! :pop :fl

3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I couldn't help but remember that is exactly how Fillion was as a pup! And smart as a whip! He learned so many commands so fast! Then came teenager time and I think I recall posting here how he was flipping me off on a daily basis LOL. He never lost the qualities I adored about him, just the desire to listen to me for a while :)

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin never came to me at the dog park when I called, when he was a pup, teenager, or past!
    he did go through a phase of stealing the tv remote, does that count? I'd find it out on the balcony and once he even got my phone!

5. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    A little strange :wink2:
    now I actually miss all the naughtiness your dogs have made :lol:

Minnie was naughty in her own Minnie way :ROFLMAO: - but never so naughty :no:

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    He just loved you so much he wanted your attention, or he was just looking out for your health. Or maybe he was a Retriever in a previous life? At least he didn't throw it off the balcony!

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper definitely went through a phase where he refused to listen to me. I remember doing early obedience classes with him and he went through a phase where he refused to sit or down on command. He knew it and had done it for months and then suddenly...nope...nothing. Was like he was deaf lol. Obedience trainer finally said just make him sit or down, don't even ask. Finnie, aside from many times forgetting his housebreaking (many many times lol) no real problems aside from the usual.

8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    "Down" has always been an issue with Brodie. Level 1 and 2 Obedience - Levels 1, 2, 3 of my Rally classes, my agility classes. He will literally stare out the window or up at the ceiling to avoid eye contact with me. Trainer was shocked to pieces when we played a form of what we at our house call 'pig', have to keep an eye on one person, when they touch their nose, last one to catch on and touch their nose is the 'pig'. We played throughout our Christmas party, trainer would give a command, we'd continue on doing whatever, when her Santa hat came off, everyone had to do the command. I was getting snacks, Brodie was across the room and followed my hand command for 'down'. We won that game just on that move - everyone knew what a stubborn bugger he was over 'down'. It is still his rebellion thing but I guess each of us has to have one.

KarenCurtis, Darren and Calliesmom like this.