Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Revel 15/07/99 - 05/07/16

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by seashel, Jul 5, 2016.

1. seashel

seashel Forums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010
    Kent, UK
    My darling Revel, my first sheltie and my heart dog left me today to make his journey to Rainbow Bridge. After two weeks of good health, he relapsed suddenly again last night with another episode of sickness and diarrhoea. He did appear to recover this morning and I felt OK to leave him and go to work, keeping a eye on my webcam. Unfortunately today of all days the server went down so I got my friend/dog sitter to go in and he had been sick again and wasn't looking good, so I came straight back home.

Unlike the previous time when he had been quite peaceful and relaxed, he gradually became increasingly agitated during the afternoon. I had made an appointment with the vet earlier to get some bloods taken, because this was presenting as a pattern (following a similar mild episode on Saturday night) so after spending the afternoon with him, I took him straight up there. He wasn't happy in the car either. The vet confirmed he had a fever and was dehydrated and I had two options. Have the blood work done in house or make the decision straight away. I wanted to be sure, to know what we were dealing with so had the blood test and Revel was put on a drip and some metacam while I stayed with him in the vet kennel. The blood test results were back in about an hour and showed elevated white cells and clear signs of major kidney infection/failure and some long term damage. He hadn't shown any of the classic signs of kidney failure (drinking/urination) but obviously it had been going on in the background. The vet did not think there was any good prognosis, which made my decision for me.

He went to sleep, very peacefully in my arms. He would have been 17 years old in ten days time, I feel so privileged to have shared his life for so long. I wish I could have been as nice a person as he was a dog, because he was a Sheltie Gentleman, loved by so many. Although my heart is breaking tonight, I'm happy because he lived to the absolute fullness of his years and he Lived. We did so much in our time together, I grew up with him and I am who I am because of him.
    Run free my darling, wonderful boy to the Bridge, to Yogi, Merlin, Poppy and CK who went before you.
    Be young, play and bark.
    I love you so very much xxxx

2. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Julia, I am so sorry to read of Revel's passing. What a wonderful dog, and what a long and happy life you gave him. I am sending you a great big hug and wishing you comfort in the days ahead.

3. jdo1217

jdo1217 Forums Regular

Aug 31, 2015
    Avondale, AZ
    Sorry to hear your news but glad you had so many wonderful years with Revel.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Rest in peace, sweet Revel.

Julia, I'm thinking of you today, and the days to come.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Words to comfort the loss of a precious life like Revel's are hard to come by, Julia. I'm glad you had nearly 17 wonderful years with him, but share your sorrow at his loss. Run free, sweet boy. Sending you hugs, Julia.

6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I am so sorry to hear about your dear sweet Revel. I'm sure he was greeted at the Bridge by his friends and they are showing him around.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Julia,
    No matter how long you have them it's never enough but yes, the blessing of those many, many years with your special boy are so special. I know how your heart must ache. You know, hours after Ally's passing, while we were numbly taking the other girls for their walk, we looked up to find a cloud straight ahead of us (no other clouds around) that was unmistakably a dog leaping joyfully. We stood there with our mouths open and the tears flowing, but it made me even more convinced that they are truly in a beautiful place once they pass.

Many hugs to you. Hold tight to the good memories.

8. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Julia, my heart goes out to you. Sending you hugs and wishes for peace and comfort. You gave Revel the most wonderful life. Run free sweet boy.

9. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm so sorry. What a beautiful relationship you two had.

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Oh no, I'm truly sad to hear beautiful Revel has passed to the bridge. My heart goes out to you.:hugs We were all blessed with your wonderful stories of Revel. Run free dear Revel.