Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Reversed Sneezing??

Discussion in 'General Health' started by sheltt, Feb 29, 2008.

1. sheltt

sheltt Forums Regular

Feb 25, 2008
    Orangeville, Ontario
    Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of "reverse sneezing"? I am told it is common in shelties yet I have never heard of it before now, now that is that two of my four are doing it. :sadsmile:

2. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    Yes my Sheltie had reversed sneezing. It scared me I thought she was having difficulty breathing at first. I called the vet at 2 AM because I was so concerned. When the vet asked to explain what was happening and I told her that she was panting or gasping so it seemed. She asked if after the episodes how was she I said fine that's when she was diagnosed with reversed sneezing:eek2:I was like whats that and she said its a sneeze but actually backs up. usually lasts just in short periods. Hers lasted just that night she was fine afterwards. Good luck hope this helped a little.

3. sheltt

sheltt Forums Regular

Feb 25, 2008
    Orangeville, Ontario
    Still "Reverse Sneezing"

Hi Elaine, yes you did put my mind at ease, Thunder has stopped but Sprint is STILL doing it, mind you it isn't as bad as earlier in the week. I have to take Creed in to the vet on Tuesday to have his teeth cleaned so if he is still doing it then I think I will be talking to them again.:rolleyes2:

4. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Could This Be Reverse Sneezing?

My parent's sheltie when he's playing or excited seems to suck in too much air and choke/gasp for air. Is this reverse sneezing??:confused2:

5. sheltt

sheltt Forums Regular

Feb 25, 2008
    Orangeville, Ontario
    Yes, that sounds the same as what Sprint and Thunder do.

6. drunkmike

drunkmike Forums Regular

May 14, 2008
    Phew! I was just about to call the vet in a major panic! It is quite hot and humid here today and Cali and I were outside playing frisbee.. She was fine for a while and then gave me the sign it was time to come back into the air and as soon as she came through the door it sounded like she was either gasping for air or coughing or something. She paced around for a few minutes doing it so I was seriously scared that she could not breathe! She drank some water, paced for a bit longer then layed down on the floor. The next time we went outside she did it again a few times when we came back in. My mom was watching her yesterday at her house and said she fell while running up the steps to the deck so I thought maybe it had something to do with it. She has no pain anywhere so I don't think she did any damage. She does seem to tire a bit sooner then normal but it has been getting quite hot when we are out so that makes sense to me..

Is the gasping/coughing/half bark sound reverse sneezing? The first time she has ever done it was today after exercising.. Put my mind at ease!

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Relax -- mine do it all the time. Pollen can trigger it. It happens when they've been running, or sometimes in the late evening. Also, with the hot weather, it's perfectly natural that Shelties tire a bit more quickly. The heat can really get to them. We do our walks before 0800 and after 1600.

Take heart -- they're Shelties -- the toughest dogs in town! :biggrin2:

8. drunkmike

drunkmike Forums Regular

May 14, 2008
    yes it was extremely humid today also.. It takes me approx 3.5 hours to cut my property with a zero-turn mower and I was soaked so bad when I got done it looked like I had fallen into the pool and most of it is shaded!

9. tim15856

tim15856 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2008
    My Bows does something like that. We thought she had something caught in her throat whenever she did it. Now I know what it is!

10. graydawntreader

graydawntreader Forums Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2008
    St. Marys, GA
    Treader reverse sneezes sometimes. He's a leash puller (I'm working on it, or trying to figure out how) and he mostly reverse sneezes while he pulling on the leash.
    I got him a harness to use on walks to try to stop it, and he hasn't done it again.