Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Riley has crossed the bridge

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by Piper's mom, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Suddenly Saturday evening Riley passed away. I came home from work to find Riley on the floor with my mom petting him (she was in her easy chair). My mom didn't realize that he'd died, so she comforted him as he passed away. I'm not having an autopsy done on him, he suffered enough...I'm thinking he had a bleed (there was blood on the floor) and he just slowly drifted off.

My poor boy, I thought we'd have so much more time with him... I was just telling my mom how the Gabapentin was helping his back so much. At least he didn't suffer...
    My mom is very very upset and lost without him, as much as he was my dog he was her protector and always stuck close to her (that and she always gave him the last bite).
    Piper and Finnie don't seem to know yet that anything has changed but I'll be keeping a close eye on them for the next while.
    I'm so grateful that he at least was able to enjoy the time we had with him the last while with the stroller. I'm sad that we didn't go for a walk this morning (it was raining) but we did get out yesterday and he loved it...I opened the front zipper screen and he would hang his head out and take in all the sights as we walked.
    Riley is now with his original owner Susan and her mother Sherri. Run free Riley and be happy with Susan again, you loved her so.

Here's a few pictures of my sweet boy. RIP Riley, Dyniques Dream Come True

https://imgur.com/a/cnaNILJ

https://imgur.com/a/2UbUCX4

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lisa - I am so sorry to read that Riley has left you
    - But how nice it is, that your mom stayed with him until the end..

It always comes as a shock when we lose our fur friends
    - we always think it's too soon
    - but after all you got a good "last time".

As for Piper and Finnie:
    When Riley died in your house
    then I am sure they already realize that Riley is not with you anymore
    -I think they can feel / smell it.

I really feel with you and your mom :hugs

3. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    My heart breaks for your loss! We know you gave Riley a wonderful life full of love and care and now you will find memories that will make you laugh, smile and fill your heart. He was a beautiful boy!!

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Oh my gosh, I'm in shock. Yesterday I was reading your posts and was amazed how we'd gotten to 10 pages of good stories after the bad news. It's just heart breaking our beautiful sweet babies are being taken too soon by cancer.

You have been such a wonderful owner, giving Riley so much sunshine in his last months. I am so glad he wasn't alone, but being gently stroked with love and care.

:hugs

Oh dear, Tully has gone outside in the dark, it upsets her when I cry. It just seems we have so much sad news lately.

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom and Wendy C like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh Lisa, as tears are running down my face as I read your post it was both sad and happy tears. So sad at the sudden loss of Riley but happy that he was given the absolute best of care with more love than any dog could receive.

Tell your mom he was comforted by her loving touch and he passed peacefully at home where he felt safe and not in a scary vets office!

My heart goes out to you and your mom. Virtual hugs to you! Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Wishing your both comfort in the days and weeks to come.

RIP Riley... you were a much loved and cherished companion.

Thank you for sharing you beautiful pictures of Riley! So heartwarming.

6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    So very sorry about your loss of Riley.

Wendy C and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I'm so sorry, Lisa. We never have them long enough. Run free, Riley. You were loved.

8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I am stunned to read this.....You are fortunate to have Piper and Finnie to comfort you.
    And when Gavin goes I hope it can be with me holding him like your mom was petting Riley.....

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  9. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Heartbroken, so very sorry for your loss. Run free Riley!

KarenCurtis and Sandy in CT like this.
  10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Lisa, I'm so sorry about Riley. I'm not sure if the sudden losses are harder for us than those planned, but I do know they're easier on our dogs and you can take comfort in the knowledge that Riley went so peacefully in your mom's arms. These losses are so hard on us, and no matter how or when they happen, never get easier. I'm sending you and your mom love and hugs and, hopefully, peace in knowing you gave Riley such a wonderful, happy life.