Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Riley, sad news

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Piper's mom, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Back in December I'd posted how Riley had a miraculous recovery, however it's been short lived.
    Riley has been steadily declining...more difficulty with stairs, tail low, doesn't arch back when having a poop, stance changed (weight on front legs).
    I took him into vet today to do another X-ray and in comparing it to the last one the changes are obvious.
    Unfortunately, it's not arthritis but cancer of the spine...my sweet boy is only 11 years old.

Tabitha and KarenCurtis like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I am more sorry than I can say to hear this. :( Riley deserves much more of his golden years. Cancer sucks big time. I hope you can keep him comfortable enough to enjoy just a bit more quality time with him. I know I was so lucky to have those months with Brooke.

All my sympathy and big hugs to you.

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    OMGosh, I am so, so sorry. Absolutely devastating. I understand you are probably having a tough time at them moment. How long ago was the last x-ray, is it a fast growing tumour?

I hate cancer, I hate having to make the decision. We seem to be losing so many of our doggy friends at 11yrs to cancer - just this year Tully has lost several friends to cancer, including of course Mr D and just this week the last of her best buddies, MacLarey. There is something awful about 11 years for dogs.

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Oh this is so awful. I feel so bad for both of you. I didn't even know dogs could get cancer in their spine.

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    His last X-ray before today's was December 14th so almost 6 months. I don't know if it's fast or slow, it seems to be eating the bone, I'd say it's grown by 1/3 since the previous one (we were comparing the two side by side).
    I had a gut feeling before today that it wouldn't be good news but now the gravity of it has hit me and I'm crying all the time, of course my other two have no idea what's wrong with me lol.
    I feel horrible for my mom, Riley has been her constant companion and she loves his large size.
    I have no idea how long he's got, he looks good...loves his food and always runs to the door when I come home but he can't stand for long, has to sit or lay down.
    I'm going to try to get him out more...he always loved his car rides.

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Oh, P-mom so sorry to read about this :hugs

7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Even when you suspect something is terribly wrong, it doesn't prepare you for the horrific heartbreak when your suspicions are confirmed. I am so very sorry Riley has been dx'd with spinal cancer. Gentle hugs to Riley...and to you and your Mom.
    Trini

Hanne, Sharon7, KarenCurtis and 2 others like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I am sorry beyond words! Cancer is pure evil, and Riley didn't deserve this. But if he's eating, he's still in the game. Bitsy loves her stroller when she doesn't feel well enough to walk. Maybe that will help Riley, too.

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My heart is just breaking for you and Riley. No matter what is to follow I know you will make his remaining time as comfortable and pleasurable as possible.

Riley has been so stoic through this time and I think a stroller is a great idea to help him to get out to see new sights and smells!

I know how much Mr Chance enjoyed his time in the stroller. We went for miles. He could never do it on his own. It was quality time we shared together.

Please know we all are here for you at this sad time and hopefully the medication can help allow him more time with you.

Blessings to you and Riley.
    Take care.

10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    So sorry about Riley's diagnosis. I hope you are able to keep him comfortable and enjoy life as long as you are able.