Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ringing the bell

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Piper's mom, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Taught Finnie how to ring a bell when he needs to go out. He rings it with gusto ALL the time. Play time and pee time ...never know when he HAS to 'go'.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Cute- but I think that I would get tired of it if it wasn't just for potty..........

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    And that is why I never taught mine to ring a bell to go outside. I was certain that as soon as they figured it out they would be ringing it nonstop!

RikyR likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Trust me, I'm tired of it lol. He goes to the bell...ring ring ring...take him out, he plays. Repeat that many times/day and only a handful of those times does he potty. Piper was like that but not until we had snow, so he was 8 months old or so and seeing snow for the first time he was super excited. Finnie on the other hand is driving me crazy lol. If I go outside without him he will rip the bell off the wall trying to communicate with us:ROFLMAO:. But definitely beyond irritating.

JacqueZ likes this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I do have a sheltie door knob hanger on the back door- Jocu will sometimes knock it if I don't realize he's at the back door. Cran just whines at the door until I let him out. Destin does laps until I figure out that he wants out. Dixie usually tailgates with the boys.....

JacqueZ and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Haha, that’s why we got rid of the bells. They got so annoying. They worked great at first to help us communicate better, but then Shelby started ringing them ALL THE TIME.

Now she just whines or clicks her teeth at us if she has to go out. But usually she doesn’t ask to go out, she just waits until we take her out at out regular times.

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    So funny - it's well thought - I ring - I coming out - no one has told me that I absolutely have to pee :lol:

I pretend I do not understand it -do not tell mom :wink2:

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    That's exactly the reason I gave up on the bells too. They never stopped ringing! Most all the dogs just have a "I need to go out" bark except for Flurry, who at 11 months has not been able to figure out how to tell me when she has to go, sigh. I have to be on top of her or I'll find surprises in the living room.

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    When he was younger Oberon only rang his bells when he had to go out. Since last year (when he was 3) he started using the bells to communicate other things --like if we were 60 seconds late for dinner, when he wanted to cuddle, etc. He doesn't ring constantly, just to communicate.

Hanne likes this.
  10. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Same here. When she was a puppy, of course I took her out every time she rang the bell, but only gave her a treat when she went to the bathroom. For the longest time, she only rang the bell when she had to go out and mostly still does. However, the last year or so I noticed that she rings the bell if she wants dinner or her "treat" (medicine). I can always tell the difference.

If I ignore her and she continues to ring the bell, then she has to potty. If she rings the bell and runs to the kitchen when I get up, she thinks it's dinner or pill time.

Then of course there's the ring the bell, I ignore, she rings the bell, I ignore, she rings the bell and gives me the stare of death....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    JacqueZ, mimiretz, Ann and 2 others like this.