Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

River is a giant baby and I am neurotic

Discussion in 'General Health' started by TheDailyPainter, Jan 1, 2020.

1. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    Last night, River woke me at the strike of Midnight to say have a sleepless night. Firecrackers woke him up and he kept whining and pacing around. Remembering that we have been off our walk schedule because of ice and cold I suspected he had to number two. I let him out with a watchful eye for wildlife, where as he proceeded to bark at the noisy firecrackers. Lather Rinse and Repeat at least five times with no relief. I began to worry that there was something seriously wrong with him. I tried everything. Comforting him, commanding him to go to sleep, playing YouTube videos of calming dog music, laying on the couch with him nothing worked! At that time of night it is easy to fear a terrible onset of some incurable ill. Finally around four in the morning it was quiet enough for him to walk around the yard long enough to empty his bowels. All is well and he is napping next to me, meanwhile I am haggard from a sleepless night. He is a perfect mix of independent macho man, and mamas boy. I love him anyway even when he is a big baby. I'm just glad that's all it was. Remind me never to skip a walk no matter how bad the weather.

KarenCurtis, RikyR, Hanne and 6 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I can understand how he wouldn't want to poop if he didn't feel safe, unfortunately for you!
    I'm also a worry wart (who isn't, especially in the middle of the night) and since Finnie hurt his leg there have been days when he hasn't wanted to go and it's in out, in our etc etc!
    4 days so far with no yelp but I'm still crating. I won't get optimistic until he's had a few massages.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Poor River! We were blessed with NO fireworks in our little town!

ghggp and TheDailyPainter like this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Ha ha, love the title.

These boys of ours are such sooks. Although I'm sure mr Mr D would have said it's because he needed to protect me from those awful firecrackers, not because he was scared himself.

RikyR, TheDailyPainter and ghggp like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I feel for you! Liam is a whiner also and it can get really irritating at times. We had fireworks also and I had the TV on to deaden the sound! Thank goodness he went potty before all the fireworks started! Personally, I hate those things too!

TheDailyPainter, Caro and Hanne like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    :biggrin2::biggrin2:
    Yes, sometimes we are so difficult to train
    and then we must learn it the hard way :lol: