Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

River's Eye

Discussion in 'General Health' started by TheDailyPainter, Sep 13, 2021 at 10:54 AM.

1. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    Hi All...over the weekend I noticed River's one eye was smaller than the other. At first I thought I was imagining it. It doesn't seem swollen. It doesn't bother him at all, and he is acting his normal self. Soonest I could get in at vet was Thursday. She checked him over, and checked his pressure, and other tests. Said all was normal and could not really give a definitive diagnosis. Said it could be a "weird allergic reaction." She gave me some eye drops...consisting of antibiotic, steroid and I think a Neosporin. It may have improved him slightly, not significantly. The drops are so hard to get in! He's a good boy but wiggles, and the drop is hard to see, very thick. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Is it some sheltie thing anyone has seen? I know sometimes vets are not as tuned in to our breed as sheltie people are. Thanks. Barb

2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Barb,
    Did your vet put eye drops in that eye to dilate River's pupil? There is a neurological condition called Horner's Syndrome where there has been some level of damage to the sympathetic nerves that control facial muscles and also the eyes...and dilating the pupil can give valuable info on whether Horner's is the issue. However although one eye appearing smaller can be a symptom of Horner's, typically you would see more abnormalities than just an eye that seems smaller...you would also see possible drooping of the eye lid and other facial symptoms. From what you are describing this doesn't sound like anything serious and hopefully that eye will be back to looking normal very soon.
    Trini

RikyR, TheDailyPainter, Ann and 3 others like this.
  3. TheDailyPainter

Sep 19, 2019
    Thanks Trini...I had been googling before the vet and came across Horner's syndrome so I asked specifically about that and she said no. Like you mentioned the other signs were not present. I too hope it isn't serious. For some reason I blame Sentinel...not logical and vets would probably pooh pooh the idea. I guess we always search for answers so we can avoid any problems for our pups.

trini, RikyR, Ann and 3 others like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I noticed one summer that Dixie's one eye looked a little smaller- tried to take pix to send to vet as we were on vacation. by the next morning, there was definite swelling in her cheek that made the eye look smaller. took her to nearby vet- we were thinking bug bite or tooth issue. she took Xrays and gave me a copy for my vet. put her on antibiotics and the swelling was gone by the time we got home. haven't seen any further issues so maybe it was a reaction to a bug bite................

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I wanted to add that River's Eye sounds like a landscape art title:winkgrin:

6. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Forums Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Hopefully it was a bug bite and Rivers eye will return to normal.

7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Barb,
    Good research and that takes one possible issue off the table. Although I haven't heard of any eye issues connected to Sentinel, I do worry about all the chemicals we now have to put on or into our dogs to keep them from contracting heartworm, tick borne diseases, etc. It is easy to wonder if these chemicals are contributing in some way to the many cancers and other serious diseases we see in our pets. At times it feels like a no win choice.
    Please keep us posted on River's eye. Gentle hugs to your boy.
    Trini

RikyR, Sharon7, Ron Atkinson and 4 others like this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I was also thinking bug bite, since your vet ruled out the more serious condition thankfully. Have you tried giving River a Benadryl, or did your vet suggest it? You can give a 25 mg pill with the eye drops. That might help bring down swelling if it is a bite.

Sprite had a very strange condition around her eyes last year, losing much of the hair around her eyes. We tested for everything and nothing came up. Finally my holistic vet suggested trying Nexguard in case it was mites. A few days after the Nexguard she improved and the hair all grew back in. Sometimes these things are just a mystery! I hope River is better soon.

RikyR, trini, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  9. TheDailyPainter

Sep 19, 2019
    Thanks everyone...the vet did suggest I could use an antihistamine and gave me a list. I didn't want to load him up and thought I'd see how it goes with the drops. It's not getting any worse and at times it seems better. My non-medical guessing had me thinking neurological since heartworm meds can cause side effects. It's a neurotoxin for bugs and is not supposed to cross the blood barrier to the dog. Anyway, just playing a guessing game. I'm just glad it doesn't bother him. I have a saying, "if you feel well you are well, you don't need a second opinion.":happy: And Trini...thanks for the painting idea, it's a good one, now you've got me thinking!

RikyR, trini, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  10. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Barb, actually it is Calliesmom who brought up River's Eye as a title for a landscape painting. :)

Any change today in how River's eye is looking?
    Trini