Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rough morning here :(

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by trini, Jun 4, 2021.

1. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Mid-morning something got Laddie excited and he came rushing at breakneck speed through the kitchen like a bull in a china cabinet. Tiny Miley, my 6 pounds little Yorkie rescue girl, was standing in Laddie's path and rather than run around her he just knocked her flying. She landed screaming in pain and when I picked her up to help her stand she fell over screaming. Her left rear leg was pulled totally up to her body and seemed useless. My first thought was an ACL injury. Call to the vet hospital and they said to bring her over and they would somehow fit her in on a day that had already had 2 serious emergencies and they were already way behind schedule so I might have to wait to get in. We had to wait a little over an hour but then one of the vets, bless him, took his lunch hour to take care of Miley. Draw on the ACL seemed normal but any time he moved his fingers further down her leg she would scream in pain. Concern was then for a broken bone in either the foot or lower leg...X-rays showed no break that they would detect. However her entire lower leg and foot have a lot of soft tissue swelling. She is home on full bed rest and pain meds and if no improvement over the weekend they will need to reevaluate. She is still not using that leg at all.

Laddie loves Miley and I know never meant to hurt her...he is just such a clueless bulldozer when he gets excited by something. Unfortunately we can't take the chance of tiny Miley getting hurt again so they will need to be totally separated from now on...doable...but sad. Maybe in a couple of years our rough and tumble Laddie boy will have settled down enough that full time separation won't be necessary.

Limping legs seem to be the norm here on SN these days...enough!!!!!!!!!!
    Trini

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Poor thing! You are supposed to hurdle her Laddie not ram her.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh noooooo! Poor little Miley! How terrible. I sure hope she is better by the weekend. Thank GOD you got in to see the vet and got x-rays.
    Pain meds are a MUST in this case. Separation for sure... Keep us posted! Prayers for little Miley's speedy recovery!

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh holy cow! Poor little Miley. I hope just soft tissue injury - just what you needed, more worry and vet bills. I'm sorry for your troubles, Trini. Laddie does sound like a bulldozer and probably separation is the best idea. I hope he doesn't take out Panda at some point! Elijah used to slam into Faith while chasing their beloved stick and I believe it's the cause of her occasional lameness, I think it tweaked her back. We stopped with the stick for quite a while and now he and Meadow just race each other to it instead.

5. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry to hear about the collision. I hope she recovers quickly.

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I hope some rest and quiet is all Miley needs to recover from her enthusiastic housemate! Sending gentle pats and prayers for her and hugs to you, Trini. You’re right, enough with the limps, SN doggies!

7. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Oh no that is so sad! That was such a freak accident, I really hope it's nothing serious and a little R&R helps her feel better.
    Sending love to the little girl from us all in Montyland, get well soon Miley :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    poor Miley- agree with Sheep- Laddie needs to jump over all small ones in the way:yes:

9. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Miley and I send our heartfelt thank-you to everyone for all the good wishes and sympathy for my tiny wee lass. This evening she is very gingerly putting that leg down for stability but still limping badly when moving. This is an improvement even if a small one...so fingers crossed this really is just a bad sprain. Laddie rammed her from behind so she had no idea it was coming, but I am not sure she would have responded fast enough as she has been good friends with Laddie and he had never hurt her so I am sure she wouldn't have expected to get hurt even if she had seen him coming.
    Panda, on the other hand is so smart that he has already figured out that the way to avoid ever getting sent flying by bulldozer Laddie is to instantly lie down the moment Laddie is in motion...it is pretty funny to watch. Also Panda is huge for a Pommie...weighing 15 pounds and measuring over twice as tall as a standard Pommie, so he is not nearly as fragile as tiny Miley. But even so I never leave them alone together just to be on the safe side. Laddie will calm down in time, he is just being a rambunctious pup and he is becoming very responsive to any command from me...so time and patience (and separation for the tiny one) will gradually get us through this puppy stage with everyone happy and safe.
    Trini

Scout’s Mom, Cindy, Ann and 4 others like this.
  10. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    LOL Yes, Sheep had it right...but his recommendation was logical and Laddie's puppy gray cells don't yet "get" logical.
    Trini

Ann, ghggp, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.