Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rough morning here :(

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by trini, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Scout’s Mom

Scout’s Mom Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2021
    Gulf Shores, AL
    So precious!

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Confusing setback for little Miley. :( She was moving almost normally earlier this morning until we were in the yard on lead and walking slowly and she suddenly pulled that injured leg back up to her body and won't use it. That kind of sudden unexpected pulling up of a back leg would typically point to a luxating patella issue except that is VERY painful when it pops out of position and she didn't cry out when it happened and shows no indication that she is in pain. But obviously there is something that happened to that leg when she got injured that is still an issue. So continued rest and hope that this is a one time setback...if she doesn't improve or this happens again we will be back at the vet's for a reevaluation.
    Trini

3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    'Liked' your post, but I don't like it at all! Sorry to read Miley has had a set back. Sending healing wishes for your little girl!

Piper's mom, trini and Ann like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    :( Oh no - maybe she just took a wrong step on a tender leg. I just had arthroscopic knee surgery for a torn meniscus, and while most steps are fine, sometimes a little twist or uneven step will give me a shot of pain. Hopefully she's OK Trini! Poor little Miley. :hugs

Piper's mom, trini and Ann like this.
  5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Sharon that sounds really painful...will this get better as that knee heals...I sure hope so!!!!!!
    We are just on a wait and see with Miley...she doesn't act as if she has any pain at all which is weird...but obviously that leg is not OK at this point. Hopefully just more time is needed as the injury was only 3 days ago. She is still on severe restriction of movement and totally separated from all the other dogs.
    Trini

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Have you looked into Arnica? It was recommended for Brodie as he continues to heal. 30C 2 - 3 pellets 2x per day. He is 20 lbs so you'd have to reduce that for Miley. I looked it up when I got home and found this - it relieves pain, helps healing and helps with swelling and bruising. https://betterpet.com/arnica-montana-for-dogs/

Sharon7, trini and Ann like this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I second Sandy's suggestion...arnica is in the T Relief I use for the dogs, and it's also great for humans. It's a fanstastic cream for bruises, aches and sprains, and the pills you can take worked wonders for my daughter when she'd take a fall from her horse. I would feed them to her on the way home. It makes sense that it would help our animals too. It could be worth a try for Miley. The T Relief/Arnica I use is available on Amazon. Hoping she's better soon!

8. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Sandy and Ann...thanks for the suggestion and info on Arnica.
    Trini

Piper's mom, Ann and Sandy in CT like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    It was very painful while I waited the 6 weeks for the surgery day! Did it playing softball in April. Post op day 4 now and feeling much better, will start PT on Friday. It's minor surgery compared to ACL tears or god forbid! knee replacement.
    I just hope Miley is OK and after your description, if maybe she had just put her foot wrong and got a momentary zing of pain like I do.

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Sharon, glad you're through it and recovering! Heal! No surgery is minor when it's on you, LOL. Take care of yourself ... the dogs would like you to get back to those walks! :yes:

trini, Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.