Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Routine?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, May 18, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow follows a routine which is pretty similar from day to day.

She gets up around sixish, does her business, has her breakfast, goes out again and then settles down for an hour-long nap from eight to nine while we wait for the kids to be in school. We walk for an hour, getting home at some point after ten. Then she sleeps until I go into the kitchen to start lunch for the family. She'll be awake for a couple of hours while the family has lunch and I clean up the kitchen. Around two Willow and I go out for another hour and then she goes up on the grooming table to be combed out and have her teeth brushed. Then she sleeps until my wife comes home around four-thirty. A short walk and then she's pretty much awake until eight to eight-thirty. She naps, on and off, until we head to bed at ten or so.

She doesn't seem bothered if it changes but that's her usual day.

Do your guys settle into a groove?

Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.
  2. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I think left to their own devices, shelties would have daily organizational dry erase charts on the wall, and at least one of them would be equipped with a stopwatch and clipboard. This house runs on Koko Sidereal time. If I don't get up on time, the Drill Sergeant is rousting me and also any other sleeping individual in the house. Breakfast must be served within a few minutes of getting up. Then its outside to stand guard on the sitting wall. Any passing life form is barked at while running the fence line. Koko comes in to check on me periodically, leaving Fillion outside to hold down the fort. Morning walk commences after guard duty. Morning naps begin after walk, till Koko declares its lunch time. Puzzle balls are prepared and lunch is discovered. Naps are taken until afternoon guard duty commences. Koko reminds me its time for pre-dinner walk. After dinner, I try to watch tv, Fillion insists on playtime in the living room. Then they settle down.
    The above scenario was our life before Benson. We'll see if the status quo holds...

GlennR, Sharon7, Calliesmom and 2 others like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    My youngest just graduated from high school so up until these past few days, my life for 8 years has started at 6:15. Our cat Rusty, tied into that routine so if I dared to stay in bed past 6:15, he'd be all over me. Brodie got into it as well and so I have had 2 animals that don't understand weekends. BUT, I rescheduled Rusty's automatic feeder and low and behold I've slept till 8 these past two mornings. Brodie is not tied to a schedule it seems; he is tied to the bell on Rusty's collar.

Our day is up, out to pee/poo, breakfast which takes hours to eat. Mommy checks email and sheltie forum. We quickly bark our way into a chewy. After that, there is no routine; morning could be obedience, trail hike, garden work, on the weekends it might be a project with hubby. If it is dry, it includes a walk and sometime throughout the day, obedience training in the yard and at least one long session of fetch. If it is wet, it's only fetch unless it's a downpour. Weekends include visits to our oldest; one of which always includes Brodie. Yesterday that visit included seeing the sheep, running in the field with the horses, walking in town, sitting at an outdoor table for lunch and a hike at a small park nearby. Brodie is calm, can pretty much go anywhere, he is 'chill' throughout.

Evenings are another story. Around dinner, the excitement builds and in the evening we are treated to the flip side of Brodie. Dinner is scarfed down and we are treated to sheltie/doxie races and a long game of keep away. It might involve a chewy, it might involve a hedgehog or other squeaky toy, but it always starts with Brodie tormenting Kooper with 'hey, look what I got (squeak, squeak) and I'm bigger than you and can spin' and is followed by the two of them racing around the house and furniture and lots of barking. It always ends with Kooper having the squeaky, jumping on the couch and saying 'haha, I know how to get on the couch and you don't!' which results in load of barking to get mommy's attention to give the squeaky back so the races can start again. This continues until one or both drop to the floor or plop on the sofa all tuckered out for the night.

This was Brodie's first outdoor restaurant experience. He stayed in a down stay throughout lunch, receiving a few pieces of son's french dip as a reward. While there, he stayed cool and calm even though a bunch of motorcycles came by.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Oh yes, the schedule here was based entirely around Deska mean time - basically Deska's feeding schedule. Nowadays I've been sleeping in far too late because I don't have a whiney, barky, 'rah, rah, rah' alarm clock to tell me it's past breakfast time!

In all seriousness, dogs have so little control over their lives that they appreciate a routine.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Our six dogs are incredible creatures of habit and demand their routine. Breakfast and dinner must be served at the same time and each night after dinner, chews and yogurt-filled kongs had best appear by the time the clock chimes 8 p.m. or Sprite, aka Bossypaws, will stomp around the coffee table and alternate staring and issuing single demanding barks. If I don't perform, Flurry is designated to jump on the couch and stand on me. :eek2:

Bedtime is expected to occur by 9, regardless of whether humans are going to bed, and that involves last out and bedtime cookies. If I'm late, Sprite begins issuing reminders on behalf of her housemates. :yes:

They are tolerant but discombobulated when we have the temerity to abandon them (and their routine) and go out, say, for dinner. Punishment is extracted on our return by zoomies along with demands for extra play and treats before we can go to bed. :uhoh:
    Suffice to say they have trained us well..... :pop

corbinam, Piper's mom, GlennR and 4 others like this.
  6. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Lord I forgot the 8 pm chewy stick time and "midnight snacks" here as well! And like your house, it doesn't matter if I go to bed, they want their "midnight snack" around 10. Koko doesn't bark at me, but I get the head in lap with mournful you forgot about us eyes. Koko also believes in beginning to lobby for whatever he wants approx. 30 min before any dinner or snack time.

7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    My guys have no chance as my schedule is not at all stable. Spitfire can get bossy at times but it is not due to schedule

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes our dogs definitely have all had routines and liked them. And I swear, they know which day is Sunday, (eggs after breakfast day) and Tuesday (Nosework class). Ours allow us to be a bit more flexible on weekends thank God, but walkies are demanded before dinner every day except Sunday, which is long walk on the ocean bluffs morning.

I have often visualized them as impatiently pointing to a wristwatch whenever anything is delayed. I like Margi's visual of a whiteboard, LOL.

Luckily my hubby and I are creatures of routine ourselves, so it all works out, and it has made it easier to transition a new adult dog to our home. They all seem to get the hang of the daily schedule and it seems to give them stability and comfort.

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    My goodness your dogs rule your houses lol, I feel guilty! My morning starts when I choose (usually at 8 am, Finnie usually gets up and naps nearby while I have my coffee. At 9 I say good morning to my couch potato Piper (who is typically still on the bed sleeping) and then I get ready for the day. Then it's a walk with the dogs and then breakfast for them. Because I work evenings my days off our routine changes (plus obedience trials) so their routine is really no routine at all:lol:...works for me lol.

Sandy in CT and GlennR like this.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow follows our weekly routine from Monday to Friday and we get her up at six. On the weekends, she still wants the same routine which isn't quite so great and will complain, quietly, in her crate. Five days we're clearly in charge, two days it's a toss-up. It will be interesting when school's out and we are able to dispense with the morning alarm clock. Will she sleep in or try getting us up at six?

Ann and Sandy in CT like this.