Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sable Merle?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by herecomeslondon, Oct 30, 2018.

1. herecomeslondon

herecomeslondon Forums Novice

Oct 30, 2018
    Hi all! I got my sheltie puppy about 2 months ago, and when we got her she was very orange. Now, she’s 4 months old and developing lots of gray/silvery patches throughout her fur. Originally we thought she was a sable but we’re now wondering if she might be a sable Merle? Any help is appreciated!

Here are some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/iEmtvuK

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I think she's a sable only. the thing with brown/sable dogs is the fur is not just one shade of brown and most of the undercoat is more of a gray color and I think that's what you are seeing. Based on the very dark brown strip on her back and tail, I'll guess her coloration as an adult will be a lot like my girl. You can also look through other puppy threads here- there are lots of puppy pix to compare the color as they grow.
    the magic of the merle is it's very obvious in a small puppy and becomes less obvious as the fur grows in.
    I have a sable merle and a sable- not sure how many puppy pix I have of her (the sable) though.

tiny smerle puppy
    vs regular sables and tris

8 week smerle boy
    pic 1
    pic 2
    pic 3

9 weeks
    pic 1

~4-5 months
    pic 1
    pic 2

~8-9 months
    pic 1
    pic 2

adult coat

sable girl
    ~7-8 weeks

sable merle in the back and sable girl in front- the day that I brought her home at ~10 months

adult coat

ghggp and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Nice pics!

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    thanks- I've shared a lot of them in previous posts but they do make a nice color series......

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Cute girl! I'm pretty sure that's shading she is showing. She may be a shaded sable (also called a mahogany sable), was one of her parents bi-black? Always helps to know the colouring of the parents. Most Shelties come with some level of shading though.
    Tully is a full shaded/mahogany sable - here she is at 6mths
    Tully 6  months.jpg
    Nowadays
    2018-09-11 23.29.02.jpg

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    IMG_2339 (3).JPG IMG_1340.JPG Piper is a Mahogony sable...first pic is at 12 weeks, second is 3 years. He also had a very dark streak along his back. His sire carried the Tri-factor gene.

Hanne, KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Gosh, what a cutie Piper was as a pup! I LOVE Mahogany coloring on sables! My favorite as Mr. Chance was that coloration.

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper was adorable...and very small (although I didn't know it at the time, him being my first Sheltie lol). I carried him everywhere, hence even now he loves to be carried lol.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ADORABLE!!!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    oh, Absolutely my favorite color - Piper was and is still beauty :yes: