Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sally is safe!!!

Discussion in 'Rescue Stories' started by hrcarol, Jun 5, 2012.

1. hrcarol

hrcarol Forums Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2012
    Atlanta suburbs
    Yesterday, my 11yr. daughter and I picked up Sally at the Cobb County Animal Shelter. She smelled awful. Worse than you can imagine. I was told that she spent the weekend in the isolation pen where dog bite cases are kept. The shelter was so full that is the only place they had left. I don't think she had much space so she must have slept in her own waste. We stopped by my parents house for dinner since they live in Cobb County and the drive home is really bad during rush hour. My parents love dogs but really don't get the whole rescue thing. I was a little nervous about bringing a smelly, skinny senior dog to their house. Also, their Sheltie, Alex just died about a week ago. But, it went fine. We had to rinse Sally off on their deck before taking her inside. But, she seemed to appreciate being cleaned off. After her bath and some food she settled down on the door mat for a nap.
    She was not too happy about the ride in the car to my house though. She spent most of the 45 min. drive barking. I'm not sure if it was the crate or the car ride she disliked. I have 2 Shelties, Rusty and Finley. Finley has been known to be really awful at greeting dogs. But, the greeting with Sally was perfect. No barking. Everyone was polite. I didn't have the heart to make Sally spend the night in the crate so I let her sleep in the kitchen. She must have been happy because I didn't hear a peep all night. She did leave a giant puddle on the floor. I might give the crate a try tonight. Sally did not eat much breakfast this morning but, I will see if I can get her to eat more today. She's so skinny.
    Here's some pictures:Sally
    Sally has a tumor on her neck that is about the size of a grape. The shelter estimated her age to be 10 but, I think she is much older. If anyone would be interested to donating money toward her care I'm sure the rescue would appreciate it. They originally declined to take her because money is tight and old dogs tend have a lot of veterinary bills. Here's the Angel's Among Us website. Also, please "like" and "share" their Facebook page and stories. You never know who you will reach and inspire on Facebook. AAU saves huge numbers of dogs and cats from high kill shelters around the state of Georgia. Most come from rural shelters where they have little chance of being adopted.
    I can't thank you guys enough for the prayers, emails and donations for Sally. I can say without a doubt that she appreciates it!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. mlamont

mlamont Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    PA
    Thank you so much Carol. Love the pictures of little Sally Belle. So sweet.

3. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Thank you Carol for all your hard work...my Sally will send a donation to her "namesake".

4. pixgal

pixgal Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012
    Beaverton Or.
    Great pictures. Your pups seem to accept so well. Your children seem to be great help also. Good job for all of you.

5. hrcarol

Jan 19, 2012
    Atlanta suburbs
    My children love having foster dogs. It has been such a great experience for them. My dogs have not always accepted the fosters so well. This is the 4th dog I've fostered since March and so far the easiest for them to accept. I think they know they should be respectful of an old dog.

6. scottanddeb

scottanddeb Forums Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Thank you "so" much for helping Sally out!

Our Pack sends their love & appreciation!

Joy
    Gage
    Tyke
    Jack

Scottanddeb

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Thank you so much for taking her in. She looks like such a sweet gal.

8. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Finally got my Internet service restored. Awwww.... Just look at Sally! Finally in a home and being loved by you and her fur siblings. She looks like she fits in just fine. I bet she is exhausted. As far as being so skinny well maybe she is having a difficult time eating hard food. Thank you so much Carol because we all know what probably would have happened to her if you and the rescue didn't get her. I am sending the rescue a donation for Sally. Hugs to you all.:hugs

9. hrcarol

Jan 19, 2012
    Atlanta suburbs
    She did eat her b'fast finally but it's taken most of the day. She will be eating canned food tonight. And she loves cheese!

10. mlamont

mlamont Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    PA
    A little cheese lover... awwww. My pledge has also been sent to help with Sally's care and needs.