Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sandstorm had his echocardiogram! He's okay!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by KarenCurtis, Apr 18, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We were at the Emergency Vets (they're open 24 hours every day, 15 minutes away, we are lucky) to see the cardiologist today- we were VERY impressed! We were there for an hour, she drew a diagram to explain all about the heart, and Sandstorm's slight murmur and a little leaking going on. She said how it can progress but right now everything looks okay and she doesn't think he needs medication. She was pretty positive about the condition and mentioned a medication (of course I forget the name of it, starts with a p?) down the line if and when he needs it. Phew!! My husband wasn't worried but I was! The cardiologist also wants us to switch his food to Royal Canin, do any of you use this? We will do that as soon as Sandstorm finishes his Blue Buffalo. I hope he does as well on the Royal Canin, what do any of you use, I know there are lots of varieties. She also is NOT a fan of grain free diets at all, and thinks it may be related to dogs and heart problems. I feel much better about Sandstorm and $600.00 later can say it was worth it. We need to follow up in a year.

2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    WTG Sandstorm!!!!!!!!!!!!! Three cheers for "OK"! (y)
    Trini

3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    :pop:pop:hugs:o1:yes::yes::yes:

Calliesmom likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    That is great news, Karen! I don't use Royal Canin, but I know a lot of vets recommend it for various medical conditions and people who do seem to like it. I'd look at the ingredients and nutritional value on Chewy (it will give you that info for each food) and see what you think. The experts are still out on the grain-free thing and heart conditions, but IMO better safe than sorry, especially if you have a dog who may have heart issues, however minor. Remember to stay away from grain-free treats too.

I'm sure you are hugely relieved to know Sandstorm is OK and there's nothing to worry about! Hooray! :biggrin2:

ghggp, Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Happy dance! (We need a happy dance emoticon!) So glad to hear this news. I used royal Canin when Ally was sick with pancreatitis and kidney disease. She did fine on it, when she was feeling OK at least. My vet does NOT like grain free, either.

Hanne, Ann, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hooray yes! I do think the Blue Buffalo is a better dog food, but the cardiac vet thinks the cereals in the Royal Canin would be better. I'll do it, as I REALLY liked her. Now Sandstorm can be a big brother for many years!!!

Hanne, Ann and Calliesmom like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    5F9DF094-C41E-4CBA-90D4-01018D0C7C78.jpeg
    Yes, exactly what I was thinking! With his important new roll as a big brother... he will need his strength!
    But, we know he has a huge heart and is a sweetheart!

So very glad about the good news!
    Have a glass of wine on me tonight to celebrate! Maybe a glass of champagne might be a better option under the circumstances!

I’m having one in celebration for your good news!

Sandy in CT and KarenCurtis like this.
  8. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    :lol::lol: Have one for me! I'm a recovering alcoholic, one glass of any type of liquor is completely foreign to me! I'll do this:pop the only addiction I don't have. Uh oh- does this mean I have a sheltie addiction? I can't fit more than two in my house!

ghggp, Sandy in CT and Ann like this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Yey - you've definitely had a good news week, albeit a really expensive one!

Tully is on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal. She loves it, but it does giver her gas, which I'd never had to worry about before, and her poops are huge compared to when I cooked for her. It smells like corn to me so probably has lots of fillers (although the GI is low fat so probably does have). The cats have actually been on the RC kibble for years. On the plus side, they haven't had a recall. I'd prefer to cook her meals but with her IBD I needed something she could be fed if I end up back in hospital and I'm not allowed to swap her foods around anymore so she'll probably be on it for life.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    No help on the food, I did have one of my cats on Royal Canin for a while. So happy for you and Sandstorm! And kudos for you with your recovery! Our oldest is in rehab now for other stuff, not something I share with many, easy to share with faces you don't know. Awesome for you all around!!!!

Ann and KarenCurtis like this.