Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sandstorm has a slight heart murmur!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by KarenCurtis, Mar 20, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm had his senior dog check up today. They found a slight heart murmur. Has anyone dealt with this? He's having early detection blood work done next week, it's recommended for all senior dogs. I'm kinda worried, any advice? Thanks

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    My first Sheltie had this 25 + years ago - it was towards the end of her life and didn't affect it. My kitty had a slight murmur a year ago and this year they said it was gone. Usually means a valve is not working right. Try not to worry too much until you get the full story - I know it's hard. :hugs

ghggp and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    It's a grade 2

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Seems like you are in the safe zone...
    Grade III murmurs have a loudness that falls in the middle of grades II and IV. Most murmurs that cause serious problems are at least a grade III.

Ann, Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    My Lacey has one too. We found it in her pre surgical check last year before her gallbladder surgery. It’s not uncommon and most dogs are fine. Your vet will just keep an eye on it. Lacey is only 8 BTW.

ghggp, Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I love you sheltie people! Sandstorm does too! :hugs

Hanne, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    What did your vet say about it? Any advice on diet? Glad you have folks here to set your mind at ease!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  8. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Unfortunately Sandstorm had the checkup during his daycare stay, I was at work, thinking everything was fine. The vet was either with another patient or had gone for the day when I got there at 3, I spoke with the techician. We are having a senior dog bloodwork done that was recommended. That will be next week.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Yep, my Benny years ago had a heart murmer. He lived to 15 years and died of testicular cancer (back in the days when it wasn't common to get your dog desexed). As he got older the vet said not to run or do any intense activity, and for a while we had to watch he didn't chase things. He did get more puffed out as he got more advanced so slowed himself down. But otherwise it didn't affect his lifestyle or longevity.

Hey I've just got diagnosed with a heart murmer too, but the cardiologist didn't tell me not to run - maybe he could tell that I couldn't.:biggrin2:

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Geezz Caro... I am sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with a heart murmur!

With Benny beating the odds and living past the normal life expectancy of a Sheltie... you will too! :biggrin2:

Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.