Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sandstorm here, I is a gud dog! I did not react!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by KarenCurtis, Jun 14, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm here! i was gud!
    Hi all. Some of you may know that Sandstorm is a reactive dog in some situations, mainly on wooded trails when people/dogs suddenly appear and he's startled, or on our road when people are out, cars, etc. I am supposed to have him at his critical distance, on leash, in a sit stay looking at me. I have been shamefully inconsistent, thinking it will get better but it has not so I have to be 100% consistent. Today was a success! We were on the trail, It's wide open- I saw a guy walking toward us, got SS in his sit/stay looking at me. He was perfect- it's as if he knew this was his important job to do. Good dog! Treat reward. This is critical for Minnie too- I don't want her to pick up on his reactive behavior.

Jams, Ann, mimiretz and 5 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    EXCELLENT JOB! More to come I am sure... as SS has to set a good example for Minnie!

Now if I could only get Liam to do the same!

Calliesmom, GlennR and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have to do this all the time, consistency!

Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  4. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    That's the only way to keep Willow from getting over excited. The sit-stay works really well for humans, we're working on keeping the calm with dogs. She so wants to see them. She conquered a little terrier today. The poor thing lives on the pathway to the park so everyone is going through with dogs.

I thought he was completely antisocial due to his frantic barking at the stream of intruders into his domain. However today Willow ran up and down the fence line with Fletch and then they stopped, nose to nose for a good five minutes both wagging their tails and even kissing through the fence. I've never seen that dog act friendly to any dog in the six years he's lived there. It was lovely to see.

5. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Nice!

Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Good job Sandstorm!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I'm dealing with monkey see, monkey do here, so yeah it's amazing what the younger ones pick up on from their elders. Benson started lunging at cars cuz Uncle Fil does. He doesn't have any drive on his own--not for cars or bunnies or anything that moves! But if Fil is gonna lunge, me too! He wants ice cuz Grandpa gets a cube. Think of anything SS does you don't want her doing and head it off at the pass!

Calliesmom likes this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, well done both of you! Was Minnie with you?

Ya know it's going to be a lifelong thing! I'd let my guard down and my two would just do stupid bark at things stuff, just because they're Shelties and they could. But it was the one-up-manship that drove me nuts. I could see them look at each other and then the crazy would start! But don't despair, it wasn't too hard to rein them back in again. But then this involved Deska - the king of clowning around, always on the lookout for mischief - so maybe it was just us.

Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Minnie was with us. Then yesterday I was going to take just Minnie around the neighborhood, but SS gave me the "can I come" look, so
    I took both of them. I won't do that again. It was too hard to control SS from reacting to cars, neighbors. Which he did, Minnie just stood there. It's easier to be vigilant on a trail or at the cranberry bog where it's wide open. Or on a town/city walk.

Hanne and Calliesmom like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Outstanding teamwork!

Sargent Sandstorm! You stayed in formation. You maintained your bearing! That is important. That is part of your job! Well done!
    Colonel Underpants

JacqueZ, Caro and KarenCurtis like this.