Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sandstorm's Vet wants him to take fish oil for his heart and arthritis, suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by KarenCurtis, May 29, 2020.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hi all
    Sandstorm has a heart murmur and arthritis in his two front legs. The Vet wants him on fish oil for his arthritis and thinks it will help his heart also. Do any of you give fish oil, and if so, what kind? There are so many different ones on Chewy. Thanks. We will see the cardiologist when the office re opens.

Hanne and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've always used Mercola's Krill Oil for pets but my vet recently recommended a fish oil capule for dogs that I put into their food called Welactin. It's available on Chewy and Amazon. It's really helped with the issues she suggested it for like arthritis, skin and coat. I just toss one a day in their food so it's easy. It also comes in a liquid supplement.

If you're treating a heart issue, you might consider adding CoQ10 to his diet. I give it to all my dogs on the recommendation of Dr. Harvey (of the dog food company). You can use 30 mg pills for people or get it from Mercola where it's marketed as Ubiquinol, which is what I do. My cardiologist has me take it for my heart condition too.

3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks Ann! Sandstorm is taking CoQ10 also

Ann likes this.
  4. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Ann, your dogs eat the capsule so it doesn't have to be punctured and squeezed out on their food?

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, that's what makes it so easy! I always mix their kibble and Flurry's homemade with water so it gets mixed right in.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I used to use the Costco fish oil caps that my hubby and I take for Brooke. I just put it on top of her kibble and she ate it right up, no problem.

Sandy in CT and KarenCurtis like this.
  7. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, SS would have to take 2, maybe the liquid would be better, trying to figure out which is cheaper. Are the capsules big?

Hanne likes this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    They're a pretty good size but they mix well with kibble. I'd start with one and work up if he needs two. Mine only take one but I had to start them gradually by sticking them with a pin to just do half for a few days.

Hanne and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks

Ann likes this.
  10. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Kip gets Alaska Naturals salmon oil everyday. I can buy it at the local feed stores. I also give it to Jessie, my GSD mix, for her arthritis.

Hanne likes this.