Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Scary situation at obedience class

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Piper's mom, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Mondays is our day for obedience class with our private trainer. I take both Piper and Finnie and work Finnie first while Piper is in a crate (Piper gets so jealous if we work him first and he then has to hear Finnie doing all the fun things lol). We worked Finnie so out came Piper and Finnie went into the crate.

Finnie also doesn't like being in the crate and hearing us so he will cry and bark occasionally so every now and then I have to tell him to settle etc.
    Yesterday, after perhaps 15 minutes of working Piper and just as we were about to do the drop on recall Finnie's tone changed from a irritated cry to one of pain, I rushed over and he'd gotten his jaw caught between the bars of the crate! Poor guy was so scared and hurting...at first I wasn't able to get him out (and was worried we'd have to cut the bars or something) but then superwoman strength and I pulled on the bars and he slipped out. OMG poor guy! I took him out, checked him out (no worse for wear) and comforted him before placing him back. He stayed away from them after that! I don't use a crate at home anymore fortunately, just a baby gate!
    And good boy Piper for maintaining your stay while all this was going on! Didn't even move an inch!
    I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on Finnie next week and we may have to work something else out if he tries this again!

Ann, Margi, KarenCurtis and 1 other person like this.
  2. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    How scary for both of you! My heart was racing just reading about it!

I doubt he will try that again, but maybe covering the crate with a towel will help his anxiety. My boys have trouble *not working* too!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Great idea 2Good about the towel...I'll definitely do that next time! Don't want to take a chance on him being stupid again! I don't need that kind of stress lol.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yeah, mine too....
    I have always covered the crates at trials just so they don't get too worked up and bark at everything......

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Before I got her Brooke broke a tooth doing something like this.....:( definitely scary. Maybe it hurt/scared him enough he won't do it again but covering him up is worth a try! Glad he's OK.

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    So scary. This happened to Elise when she was a puppy. Scared me to death!

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OMG! Poor Finnie! Glad he was OK. That was one scary experience for him!
    Putting a blanket over his crate might just do the trick!
    Hope that never happens again...

GOOD PIPER!!!!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I do that too but at trials we do soft sided crates so this has never been an issue. I'll definitely either bring a towel or use something of my trainers.

9. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Oh my goodness Sharon, that's awful! So many things we have to be vigilant for! I lock ALL my gates, no collars in the house, no escape routes under fence (I triple checked) and I'm super cautious at a dog show now! So many animal rights extremists and thieves!

Sharon7 likes this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, impressive Piper. Gosh, eating the bars is also not good for his teeth. I've only ever used soft crates at trials, Deska used to get worked up in his crate too so I could imagine him doing the same thing as Finnie. Covering up the crate made no difference - Heck being half a kilometre away made no difference, if Deska could hear my voice (and boy he had bionic hearing) he'd be desperately trying to get to me.

Piper's mom likes this.