Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Seat Cover Recommendations

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by Ron Atkinson, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    I guess I have to move on.. For the last 40 years I have driven a truck (I like my truck) due to work. Teddy has always ridden shotgun in his harness and seatbelt,and I have used a ramp for him to safely get in and out.
    Due to mobility issues I am switching.to a car with leather seats which are slippery. So I am looking for suggestions on what type of cover I should get.
    I also could use ideas on how to make Teddy happy in the back seat since in the truck he has been a front seat passenger. He doesn't like riding in the back seat so far. Thanks for all your help

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have leather seats in my SUV but I don't have any type of cover on them.
    my shelties ride in crates so no help on that area either...............

Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.
  3. Ron Atkinson

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    My Insurance company preferred the harness/ seatbelt.If I used crates I would have to anchor the crates to the truck I have not asked them about the car.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    it is challenging to secure crates in a vehicle- mine are strapped in though....

Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I use this cover. I have black leather seats, but this protects them from drool, vomit, hair, and sand - oh my goodness the amount of sand my two got the day we took them to the beach and they went in the water and then played on the beach!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SX2NGYZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It was awkward to install the first time, but now I can put it on and off in no time. I drive a GMC Yukon with a bench seat for the 2nd row. You can't even tell I have a cover on it. I am super pleased with it.

For the dogs, I use a Perfect Fit harness (www.cleanrun.com) which comes in 3 adjustable pieces so it really is like a custom fit harness. I attach the seatbelt, lock it in and then have a strap that attaches to the seatbelt and then to their harness. The strap came from here and was used in a car seat from our doxie days that Brodie also used for a while. https://snoozerpetproducts.com/product/lookout-replacement-strap-p-128/ (The Large Lookout from that site is a great car seat for a single dog if not terribly oversized. But I do find the car seat cover is easier to use now with the shelties.) They can lay down comfortably, I can reach them, give them treats, but they are not lethal weapons in a crash. Maybe try Teddy on the passenger side of the car so you can still reach back from the drivers side and he can still see you. 'They' say it takes about 3 weeks for something to become habit, humans at least, so just keep it up going on short rides that you steadily increase. Treats help. Deacon used to have major anxiety in the car, drolling up a pool back there. Now, at a bit over 2, he simply lays down and goes to sleep once he gives up demand barking for goodies.

6. Ron Atkinson

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Thanks Sandy,
    I really like the seat cover , so I just went and ordered it from Amazon

Sandy in CT likes this.
  7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Hope you like it as much as I do Ron!

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Asher has a washable pad that I tuck into the seat to stabilize it. He wears either his service dog harness or a seat belt harness. I run the seat belt through the slot and he's secure. The air bags will not deploy should we be in an accident.

Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and Ron Atkinson like this.
  9. Ron Atkinson

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Thanks everyone, I am trying using leather conditioner to see if I can make the seats less slippery.I think they might have used armor all on them before I bought the car,my butt even slides some

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009