Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Seeking Advice on Trimming Tools

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by MystyxMerle, Dec 10, 2017.

1. MystyxMerle

MystyxMerle Forums Novice

Dec 10, 2017
    Hello everyone!

I’m new to this forum and was wondering what more experienced Sheltie owners would have to say about my question. I have a 5 year old Blue Merle Sheltie with a somewhat thin, dry coat. I’ve always done what I think is an adequate job with grooming (misting the coat before line brushing and all that), but would really like to invest in a good kit/collection of scissors or shears to further compliment his coat.

Does anyone know of a good trimming kit that I could purchase? I’m determined to learn and have tried with house scissors, which obviously are not what I want to continue using.

Any suggestions would be great (on both the trimming tools and his dry coat)!

Thanks!

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Good scissors cost, but they're so worth it! I have a nice pair of long curved scissors and thinning shears. Try Chris Christensen or Cherrybrook.

ghggp, Piper's mom and MystyxMerle like this.
  3. MystyxMerle

Dec 10, 2017
    Thanks Chris! I’m willing to pay for a good pair that’ll last. Do you know any specific kits that would have what I need? Or did you purchase yours separately? I’m just not sure what sizes to get.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I purchased a good pair of thinning scissors from Rens Pet Depot as well as a good regular scissors but curved would be much better. I think I paid around 150 (Canadian) for the thinning scissors...I don't recall the brand but I remember our breeder saying you want about 47 teeth on them, that way it gives a nice edge, not choppy and the ones I bought do a nice job when I trim his ears.

MystyxMerle likes this.
  5. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Silaria had suggested a set that was well-priced (expensive, but well-priced for the quality). I found the link but it's broken, so I think this is what it was: http://www.precisionsharp.com/pc2-package-2/
    Here's their special packages; http://www.precisionsharp.com/Precise-Cut-special-packages/

I purchased the set, it's awesome! The quality, the ease of cutting, I was blown away. The bent shears is so great for cutting pad fur and omg, the thinning shears, so smooth! I've been using my mom's from like the 50's; those have worked better than even $50 thinning shears (which is dirt cheap compared to what hair stylist/groomers probably pay), which I have bought and thrown away.

If your dog moves a lot, I suggest purchasing a short stubby tipped pair. I have one, I think the blade is about 2-3" long and it's perfect for my antsy dog who refuses to stay still. Long shears and I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally lop off an ear or something.

MystyxMerle likes this.
  6. MystyxMerle

Dec 10, 2017
    This is exactly what I need. Thank you k9kreationz (and everyone else)! I definitely don't mind investing in a more expensive set that'll last me a while and does a good job. That's amazing that you have a pair from the 50's. Just goes to show that buying a higher quality product will go the distance.

Asher stands still when told and isn't much of a fidgeter, but I think that I'll stick to a shorter, more stubby pair like you suggested, at least while we're getting the hang of it.

Thanks again!

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Those look great -- superb pricing.

MystyxMerle likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I had been buying dog ear trimming scissors until I lost my favorites and couldn't find anything in the stores.
    I ended up getting blunt tipped small scissors at CVS or Walgreens (not sure which)- like these- and I love them...:yes:

9. MystyxMerle

Dec 10, 2017
    That's interesting. I'll most certainly purchase a pair and add it to my new set. Thank you Calliesmom!

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- those are my most used scissors.
    I do also have this kit- I have used the thinning shears from it and maybe twice the shorter straight shears......
    I just don't cut a lot really.....