Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Seeking wisdom regarding neutering at what age?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by CAllen, Nov 11, 2019.

1. CAllen

CAllen Forums Novice

Jul 12, 2019
    My 9 1/2 month old male is humping every dog he sees...my question: the breeder recommends waiting until he's 1 year old yet the vet says any time between 6-9 months. Thoughts?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I know many feel the later the better these days. I will be waiting 18 months for my boy Liam. He is not showing and humping behavior thank goodness. Nor is he marking in the house.

They say at 18 months the growth plates close and that is when you should consider fixing your pup. I personally do not believe in the 6-9 month timeline.

I fixed one of my shelties at 6 months and he never developed a full coat.

Ann likes this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I was trying to wait until at least a year, but Brodie began marking Kooper's pee outside, was humping like mad (more of a dominance issue). He started marking outside on my deck, hit my sliding doors multiple times. When it started in the house, I made the call after the second or third 'accident' inside. You don't want bad habits to become common behavior. Brodie was neutered at 8 1/2 months and we've had not a single issue since! Do what is best for all of you.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  4. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    We were going to wait until a year. At 6 months Oberon started marking everywhere, to the point that I couldn't take him with me anywhere. I thought he'd be happier going places with me, so we had him fixed at 6 months. No issues since then.

5. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Agree with Gloria :wink2:

How about trying a medical castration first.

6. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    I'm on the fence about this as well. River is 18 months and not exhibiting any issues. I had a talk with my vet about this last month and both she and my breeder said take it case by case. Also said you don't have to do it at all. There are new studies out there to consider and although the risk for prostrate cancer goes down, other problems may crop up. Hormones play many roles in the body which are important. It's a really hard decision as I know we all want what is best for our pups. Right now I'm still fence sitting.

Hanne likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am attaching a very interesting video on the subject. While everyone needs to consider individual circumstances it helps to have information to contemplate pros and cons.
    I know if Liam was showing strong tendencies to hump and mark in the house I would have had him fixed before now. However, he is being very good. Anyway, the attached video is food for thought.

TheDailyPainter likes this.
  8. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    We saw our Vet a couple of weeks ago to have the talk about Cooper. Cooper is a humpamaniac, he marks outside not in making our walk a bit longer in time. lol. My concern is him humping the Grandkids (the youngest is 4). The Vet said that if the situation gets out of control we will do it before the Dec. / Jan. Timeline (Jan. Would put him at 11 months old). She reminded me that it takes up to 3 weeks for his hormones to “calm”. On growth plates which I also brought up she said it is much more of a concern with large breed dogs?? Every dog is different and every families needs are different and you have to do works for you.

TheDailyPainter and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I agree with Gloria...if you can wait till later, around 18 months, the current thinking is that it's better for the dog's health. However, if he exhibits behavioral problems like marking etc., I'd do it sooner. The tradeoff is that neutering earlier does affect the coat growth on most males. You won't get the same full coat, since the undercoat is not as profuse.

But behavioral issues are harder to train out once they're established. So the choice is definitely on a case-by-case basis, depending on your dog and your needs.

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Just a question... do you immediately stop him from humping? Liam tried it twice and I was after him as soon as he made a move ... he has not done it since.