Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Seizures

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Jo Jo, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Jo Jo

Jo Jo Forums Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    Hi, My Sheltie had mange and was given Bravecto. She had a mild seizure the next day and two since then, a month later (bravecto is still in her system). My Vet advises the seizures are not Bravecto related. Each seizure appears to have been triggered by intense exercise (following a car on our property). They are short in duration and she does not go through the post ictal period. Has anybody else had this problem with their Sheltie? Thanking you.

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    My Sheltie angel, Pixie, had seizures for most of her life brought on by vaccines recommended by my then vet when she was a puppy. Bravecto is known to have side effects which include seizures. I'd be very careful giving your girl any flea and tick meds now, even though that's not why you were prescribed the Bravecto. If you are using one I'd stick with the most mild spot-on you can find, or a natural remedy.

We were fortunate with Pixie. I took her to another vet (who I'm still with 20 years later) who recommended holistic treatments for the seizures and a careful diet. In a few years on this protocol, the seizures diminished. Hers were also after exercise, fairly mild and short in duration. I just held her while they were happening and then gave her a spoon or two of vanilla ice cream afterward, which was recommended. She was always just tired and sleepy when they passed.

I hope your pup recovers and the seizures stop. How old is she?

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I’m so sorry that happened to your Sheltie, that must’ve been very scary! My now 2 year old had what I believe was a reaction to her second puppy vaccination sand developed a twitch that my vet said was neurological in nature. I did take her to a holistic vet who said it ‘could’ve’ been caused by the vaccine. Different from your situation in that it wasn’t a tick medication but the one thing the vet told me regarding seizures is that flea and tick medication do carry an inherent risk of seizures. I’d say it’s more likely that the Bravecto caused the seizure than not (and you should report directly to the manufacturer especially if the vet doesn’t agree with you….
    • The FDA continues to monitor adverse drug event reports for these products and encourages pet owners and veterinarians to report adverse drug events. You can do this by reporting to the drugs’ manufacturers, who are required to report this information to the FDA, or by submitting a report directly to the FDA.
    • To report suspected adverse drug events for these products and/or obtain a copy of the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) or for technical assistance, contact the appropriate manufacturers at the following phone numbers:
    I’m not sure if your vet told you but if your dog has had ANY type of seizure you should avoid giving any flea or tick medication. Because they already carry a risk of seizures a dog who already has had a seizure has an even HIGHER risk of experiencing another seizure from a medication that can cause them.
    When this happened to Blueberry I spoke to a naturopath and I put Blueberry on a CBD oil for dogs (it helps to reduce inflammation) and I’m not 100% sure if it was that or if she just outgrew them but they did stop by the time she was around 5 months old. She’s now just over 2 years old and they’ve never returned however I cannot give her flea or tick meds and I’ve gotten her titered rather than vaccinated.
    I hope your dog doesn’t have any further seizures but I wouldn’t hesitate to find a different vet (holistic vets are still trained veterinarians who specialize)…vets need to be on the ball as far as side effects of these tick meds we give our dogs!

Sandy in CT and Ann like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    My angel Ally had seizures after getting Sentinel, and I never gave that to her again. And she never had another seizure. So as others said, I would be VERY careful what you use on her for flea and tick, and you might want to get her DNA tested for the MDR1 gene, which can cause problems for Shelties and Collies taking certain medications.

Ron Atkinson and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Sorry about the seizure - must be scary for both you and your pupper. I would recommend testing for this as well. If your sheltie does carry the gene, their are other medications you would want to be aware of to avoid. Here is a link to order the test...
    https://apps3.vetmed.wsu.edu/VCPL/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=/VCPL/

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    how is your girl doing?

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I recommend Vibrant Pets Skin and Coat formula. It works wonders on mange -- and no, I don't get a lickback. I just know the developers and have used it for 17 years. Asher is on Canine Athlete, and it completely stopped his poop eating in a day!!! :eek2:

https://vibrantpets.com/shop-all/skin-coat/

Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.