Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Separating Vaccines

Discussion in 'General Health' started by corbinam, Mar 21, 2019.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I’ve always read that you should separate your pup’s vaccines. For example, Elise is now 1 and about due for her distemper booster and her rabies shot.

I follow Dr. Jean Dodds’ protocol, and even she mentions that these should be given at separate times.

https://www.animalhealthfoundation.net/blog/2017/12/dr-jean-dodds-dog-vaccine-protocol/

I hate to say it...but I’m wondering how many people get both at once? Not that money is most important, but I hate that separating the vaccines means paying for separate office visits.

2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    My vet will not do major vaccines together. Yes, it is more expensive. We have talked about shots with Brodie. He just finished up his puppy shots, got his rabies, got his first Lepto booster. Next will be another booster, then a Lyme's. I am seeing lots of her! For next year, we already talked that we will split up the his vaccines so he will get a 1 year rabies or distemper and the extended for the other and then the following year the extended for the one he got the single year for this year. And yes, I will see her two times next year for those shots. She feels it is better for the dog's immunity system, doesn't overload the pet all at once, and helps to avoid negative reactions.

3. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    I have always separated, by a minimum of 2 weeks time, any vaccines that my dogs need. Yes, unfortunately it does cost more to do it this way and means extra office visits, but I feel it is much safer and well worth the added cost and time.

Trini

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    I always separated by 2-4 weeks. My vet wouldn't charge me the full office visit price for just a vaccine a few weeks after an exam. They would either just charge the vaccine fee or charge a follow up visit (with the vaccine fee).

Can you talk to the vet and see if they can reduce the visit price since your dog doesn't need a full exam?

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I made the mistake once of letting the vet give Lacey two vaccines at the same time. She had a reaction which lasted for 48 hours and required another vet visit. I never, ever give any shot with another now. My vet doesn't charge an office visit for returning just for a second shot a few weeks later. I'd rather make numerous trips than take that chance.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Tully has always gotten sick from the vaccines, since she was a puppy. So I separate them too, I think since it was mentioned here on SF many years ago. Nowadays I do the same for the cats (although the cat from the breeder was already being vaccinated 6mths apart).

I've discovered with Tully it's the live vaccines that make her most sick, so I need to separate C3 and C5, which they don't usually do, and also to ask for the nasal C5. Have no problems with the heartworm injection and we don't get rabies here.

I will say, once I read about separating I just dragged the core vaccines (c3) out by 6 months, as they weren't so urgent to maintain. Don't notice it so much having it 6 mths apart, and with multiple dogs and cats I just aligned everyone's schedule so I only had to remember a couple of dates.

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Our vet also separates Shelby’s vaccines by a few weeks. We do not get charged a second visit. We just walk in, the nurse comes out, gives her the vaccine and we go home.

Katie’s Mom likes this.
  8. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    We have cheap vaccine and micro chipping clinics here at feed stores and pet stores every so often.

9. Katie’s Mom

Katie’s Mom Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Suffolk County,NY
    Same here...separated vaccines...no office visit charge...

10. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    I have never understood concepts like 'you are bombarding the immune system with multiple vaccines'. That simply makes no sense. I do separate all vaccines for dogs under 5 lb. And we will try to avoid three at once , especially if one is for Lyme, particularly in juveniles. (Which it usually is if you're getting three.) For what its worth, as mentioned above, if we do split vaccines the second is a 'quick shot' meaning you are not charged with an office call or examination, just for the vaccination as if it had been given with the others. -Dr. Mac