Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

"Service Dog" Gives Birth at Airport

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by JacqueZ, May 26, 2018.

1. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    http://www.fox13news.com/news/local...rrival-dog-gives-birth-at-tampa-international

This article just hits all my buttons. Generally I will give people more leeway for passing off animals as service animals on planes, because flying them in cargo holds is horrific. But the way this is played as a feel good fluff piece, while the two ladies are claiming two unfixed animals as "Service Dogs" and trying to fly while one is heavily pregnant... just Ugh!:yuck:

The whole thing just reeks of a lack of any kind of responsibility. They knew the dog was pregnant, but say, "We had no idea she was that far along" Which a) the dog would have been in heat when she was mounted and that is a pretty noticeable time period, and b) a vet should have been able to tell them how far along she was, which says to me they never took her in to be seen.

So they disrupt an entire airport, waste rescue services time but it's all, "Awww puppies".

Grrr.

RikyR and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, I absolutely agree with you. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded. And what's the chances they've had heaps of requests for the puppies now, so they get extra rewarded.

Ann, Piper's mom and JacqueZ like this.
  3. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes! So many dogs in need to homes, and these are going to get all the attention. It'll probably lead them to breeding them again

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree with you guys...how could this woman NOT know when the dogs due date was? Any reputable breeder knows exactly when their dog is due (they may have two due dates, but they still have some idea)! And if this is a service dog then WHY would you allow it to be pregnant?
    The whole story just reeks of stupidity!

JacqueZ likes this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I could not agree more. I was horrified when I saw this "feel good" story on the news! How irresponsible to travel a dog this close to whelping, and probably for breeding it in the first place. Service dog my tail. :mad1:

JacqueZ likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I was infuriated. As many of you know, Layla is my Emotional Support Dog, and she is so highly trained. I have flown with her to Europe and throughout the U.S. She has a current health certificate and documentation of her training and my need for her. This incident is appalling. I know of no airlines that would allow this dog to fly without these documents. Moreover, these people make it harder for those who need to travel with real service and ESA canines.

While there is no requirement for a service or ESA dog to be neutered, no responsible handler would allow this to occur. I lump these women right in with the peacock lady -- inconsiderate, irresponsible people with no regard for anyone other than themselves.

JacqueZ, Cara Sandler and Ann like this.