Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

She won't slow down!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Smudge, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    When I got Smudge I thought I would never meet a more active dog.

Enter the Fluff.

She won't slow down. Her favorite times of the day are early in the morning and at night. She constantly zooms around, bounces off of everything (no - I mean she seriously is bouncing off of stuff!), and jumps like a rabbit. Smudge can't even keep up with her. They chase each other, and she's ran circles around him several times before he can even take off to chase after her.

I'm afraid she is going to hurt herself. She LOVES to jump off of stuff. Smudge hates it. Fluffy will jump on the bed or the living room chair, look down at Smudge, and it makes him mad. He refuses to jump up to where she is at so he will bark at her. It's like she's saying, "Why...yes. I am on living room chair. It's pretty fab. Maybe YOU should try it sometime, huh?" :rolleyes2:

She's 13 months old. Smudge was nowhere near this bouncy and crazy when he was that age. Anybody else have a 1 year old sheltie that won't slow down?! I thought after a while they stopped zooming?! Fluffy is zooming on a daily basis, usually early in the morning. :eek2:

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Fluff sounds more extreme but Sca enjoys leaping from chair to chair and does bank turns off the couch at times.

3. Sheri

Sheri Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    Oh my gosh.

My puppy is doing the same thing. Are you saying I might have to deal with this crazy for over a year? :eek2:

I feel like I have a wind-up puppy. Sounds like you have your hands full too!

4. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    I could probably understand why she's happy in the morning (well, no I can't either. I'm never happy when my alarm goes off! :lol:). But she's just as bad at night.

Shelties gone wild! :eek2:

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Jessica, Lexi is the same way. She will literally run circles around Bentley while he just stands there. She tries to get him to play, but when he's not in the mood, she runs around like a crazy dog anyways.

She also bounces off of everything. I always say that she would be an excellent flyball dog because she does "box turns" off of our furniture. She is always flying from one couch to another, onto the bed, sliding across the floor, climbing into windowsills, flying out of the windowsill...it never ends.

I always say that she likes to cuddle, but only when she's tired...which is like...never!

6. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Trapp is the leaper here. Once he learned to jump up,he does'nt hold back,at least until lately with new chairs.

Although I do not allow furniture hopping,never did,and now its more difficult as all we have in the living room we use all the time is 2 recliners,and neither dog(S)..Earnhardt to..have even ventured to give it a go.

There is one living room,no dog will venture in unless invited if we are sitting in there.

Jasper never did jump on the furniture,he still has no interest,and hardly stays still long enough to try.He is the zoomer puppy.He zooms,spins,yaks..start process all over again.

But I think she is perfectly normal...shes active,healthy so I guess if it were me it would'nt let it worry me.Just typical zoomin mode,and having a darn good time doing it~

7. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have seen her window sill pictures..and I must say they were to darn CUTE!!

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I did. Maybe you heard of her her name is Diva. :smile2: Diva was the puppy running across the back of the futon at 12 wks. There was no containing her. She was on and in everything.

There is hope though, Diva is now 2yrs and her zoomies are down to 1-2x a week. But if she is outside there is still massive zooming. Ember still zooms around every morning at 5 yr but she was never as intense as Diva and usually sticks to the ground.

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Oh, I wanted to add that no matter what you do, nothing seems to tire them out.

Lexi gets walked 1-2 miles a day (speedwalk, mind you), agility practice 5 times a week, 5-10 serious tug sessions every day, a couple fetch/frisbee sessions outside per day, plus she chases Bentley and the cat pretty much every time they move.

And she is still going until about 9 pm every night...when she crashes.

10. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Toby seems to never stop, but we haven't had him for very long so maybe he just hasn't adjusted to our schedule yet.

With him its play play play all the time. He's not necessarily bouncing off of things, but he's always running or bouncing around Sadie and Ginny, trying to convince them to play. He's actually tiring Ginny out, who has taken to hiding under tables or behind me to get away from him.

He's worrying me a bit. Did I get more than I bargained for? When he's made to he seems to settle nicely though, so maybe I'm just over reacting. He's been getting 2 walks a day and race around time with the girls in the back yard.