Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shelby is under the weather

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Shelby's mom, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Poor Shelby - we were on vacation with her last week, and Friday morning she started with diarrhea. We immediately stopped all treats and only allowed her to eat her food. She wasn’t going to the bathroom any more often than usual, just when she went it was very loose.

Called the vet on our way home Saturday, put her on a bland diet of hamburger and rice and made an appointment for last evening.

Vet says she has colitis - will probably never figure out what caused it. Put her on antibiotics and continue the bland diet. Other than these loose stools you would never know anything was wrong.

But when they weighed her she lost 2lbs in 4 months. Vet wants to monitor her weight. I am not concerned because I try to keep her at 25lbs so I do adjust her food based on her weight. And all her vet visits she varies between 24-27lbs. She was 24.6 yesterday. We recently changed her food about a month or so ago and I was feeding her the same amount as her previous food, not realizing we should be feeding her almost double. I feel absolutely horrible about that. I know that when I would have weighed her I would have increased her food but with her being sick I can’t do that and she was at 25lbs a few weeks ago.

But so far no bowel movements since yesterday afternoon. Stool sample was negative. Vet says that is good and it is ok if she doesn’t go for a few days. So we are hoping the antibiotics are working and she can soon get back on her food. If not then we will need to do further testing. But vet doesn’t feel there is anything really wrong with her other than a GI bug. She did get a complimentary butt trim by the vet.

It just breaks my heart, she doesn’t understand why she can’t have her treats.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Poor baby....
    whenever Gavin gets diarrhea I always stop food completely for 24 hours. Obviously only works for minor problems. I usually never figure out why it happens. I think he is more upset about the messy bum than the no food, actually. It is so embarrassing for him to keep getting cleaned back there!

RikyR, KarenCurtis and Shelby's mom like this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Poor, poor Shelby :fl - but it is not nice to be the mom, either :no:

Shelby's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor Shelby, poor you!
    Have you tried slippery elm?
    Lisa suggested it to me when Liam has loose stools. It really does work!

https://draxe.com/slippery-elm-for-pets/

Hopefully, she will feel better soon!

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Awww, poor Shelby. It's so hard when they're sick. I'm glad you found out what the problem is. With the bland diet and the meds, I bet she'll be back to treats soon.

When I can't give treats, I'll do a tiny bit of canned pumpkin or baby food from the small jars on a spoon. Both OK while they're on bland diets. They think it's a great treat!

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Poor Shelby. Hope she feels better soon! How is she acting?

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Sorry Shelby was feeling ill! Hope she is back on track now. I second the pumpkin puree, mine go nuts for that as a treat. Will also help firm up her stool. Long-haired dogs with diarrhea is NO FUN!!! I think we've all been there.

Shelby's mom, Wendy C and Ann like this.
  8. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Oh Lordy I feel your pain times three!! I just came off a week of all three having diarrhea. Nothing was wrong with them either except the runs. I think they picked up something at the dog park. I did nothing but clean poopy butt every few hours for days. Pumpkin didn't work, plus mucous was a big hint it was a parasite. Safeguard cleared up Fil and Benson but Koko gets like irritable bowel and it just doesn't stop. Found some Flagyl, the miracle drug. Phew, it was week from hell. Breeder doses her dogs twice a year if they are gonna be around strange dogs and I'm on board with that now!
    And yes this is an unabashed attempt to get sympathy LOL!

Sharon7 and Shelby's mom like this.
  9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes and recommendations. I didn’t even think of the pumpkin purée, that is one of Shelby’s favorite foods. I was just making the hamburger/rice into small balls for treats.

Her stool sample came back negative. She has been on the Flagyl since Monday evening and she has not passed any stools since Monday evening. Vet says that it is a good sign that she hasn’t passed stool, said it could take a few days until she does again. Started mixing her dog food with the hamburger this evening so hope everything will be OK.

She has been acting completely normal this entire time. You would have never known she was sick.

I just think she picked something up at the campground. There are a lot of other dogs as well as feral cats there.

RikyR, Sharon7, Margi and 3 others like this.
  10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I have all the dog beds covered in old sheets...makes it easy to clean them up when a poopy bum sneaks into the house!

Sharon7 and Margi like this.