Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shelter Sheltie

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Mar 5, 2018.

1. PatC

PatC Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012
    Please keep us posted. I'm so glad you're helping him. My first thought was that the poor thing just retreated from the world because of whatever kind of conditions he was living in. Maybe you can help him return.
  2. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Well, things didn't run as smoothly as I would have liked, but pound did surrender Simba to our group and he's with a foster family. Wife went to see him at the pound this morning before he was moved and didn't think he was doing great, but did get him to respond to her somewhat. We are hoping he becomes more friendly now that he's in a foster setting. Still thinking of adopting him, but want to get a better idea what his needs are before we think too much about that. Planning to stay in touch with foster parent.

Foster mom thinks he needs dental work. He'll be going to the vet as soon as one of the vets our group works with can fit him in. I expect it will be tomorrow or Thurs. One of the things I like about the group is that they usually "go the extra mile" to get dogs in the foster system medical care - ie, dog/cat usually gets dental work, arthritis meds, surgery, whatever, to live comfortably in foster care. One of the advantages to having a really large network of followers on social media who are willing to donate when the rescue asks

LOl, while I'm sitting her typing, my wife walked by and suggested we foot the bill for Simba's medical costs. Great minds think alike. I had the same idea but hadn't mentioned it to her yet. Simplest way to ensure that Simba gets whatever care would be beneficial without people worrying about where the money is going to come from.

Anyway, his living situation seems to be much improved. Hopefully he responds to that. I'll update later.
    Chris, corbinam, Ann and 3 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    BIG sigh of relief here - I will honestly sleep better tonight knowing he is safe in a foster home. How absolutely compassionate of you to think of donating to cover his care. I agree with Ann; it wasn't just chance that you happened to be right there when that lady took him out of the car. Thank you so much for what you've done; you may end up with a Sheltie in your life, but if not, he will go on to have a wonderful future, I'm sure.

It may take him quite some time to show his true personality, so hopefully the foster family is patient. Yes please keep us updated.
    JacqueZ likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Thank you thank you for your caring response to Simba and your generosity in helping with his care! Whether or not Simba ends up in your family, he will be so much better off for your intervention and help. Bless you for that, and thanks for the update on him!

Sharon is right...the longer his neglect went on, the longer it will take for him to recover and trust people again, but it will come. So glad to hear he's with a foster family who will start him on the path to being loved.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
  6. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    I think the problem at the heart of the pound, shelter, rescue issue is not putting the best interests of the dog first. DH and I attend several rescue events every year and one of the things I love doing is meeting and talking with the people who do breed rescue because it does reinforce my faith in the mission of breed rescue, not just Sheltie Rescue. There are just thousands of stories that demonstrate that when possible those who understand the breed can evaluate and determine the best course of action for the individual animal. They understand the joys and the challenges of the breed they specialize in and they can both prepare the dog and the prospective owners to meet those challenges.

It is frustrating and demonstrates the lack of dog first focus when you hear pounds/shelters say rescues take away their easiest placements to make money. In our area we don't have a Sheltie Rescue I've had to go out of state to rescue, but we do have several large breed rescues and the medical and feeding costs for these breeds hardly make taking them from the pound/rescue the most cost effective choices. However, these dogs are often some of the dogs who are rehomed more than once when placed from a traditional pound/rescue because their needs are not properly understood by rescue or the new owners. Having them placed through a quality breed rescue can increase the chances that the placement will be long term. The people that work with the rescue have experience with the challenges of the breed.

I know myself when I've been at these events I've had my dogs misidentified by breed and had representatives from a shelter try to inform me about my dogs and the information was both incorrect and potentially harmful to the dogs. Imagine if my first two dogs had been in their care?

Quality foster care is always the ideal for any rescue dog. It gives the dog a chance to reaclimate from what ever situation brought it into rescue. Some situations are mild others far more tragic and this period allows for the dog to be fairly evaluated on its true behavior not on its shock at being abandoned. From there medical and behavioral evaluations hopefully give some insight on the type of home that would best suit the dog. Is the dog good with other dogs, good with children, better with male or female owners, etc. Does it have any significant special needs or medical issues that would make one home better than another? These are issues that can't always be judged in a rescue/pound situation that cages animals

That being said with the number of abandoned and stray animals foster is just not a realistic solution to the animal control population. There is a need for traditional shelter situations to house homeless pets. That being said I find it impossible to understand those who aren't willing to allow upgrades for animals stuck in these situations that would allow for the best possible placements. Realistically there isn't room for every animal in foster care, however, if someone is willing to take on the feeding, medical, and placement of some of the animals in foster situations which are still subject to state monitoring I fail to understand the fight over who ultimately gets the adoption fee or credit for number of dogs adopted. The goal is a permanent home for the dog.

I think part of the challenge is education. Despite the fact foster adoption has been around for a long time people still don't seem to have a clear understanding of what it is and why it exists. There still seems to be a childish attitude that the only "real" adoption is a pound dog. I've had several people criticize me because our adoptions were pure bred dogs. I stated very clearly a homeless dog is a homeless dog regardless of its pedigree. Arguing over the origins just creates a break within the rescue community. The goal should be in finding homes for homeless dogs, not criticizing those who have made the choice to adopt. If breed rescue increases adoptions all the better, fewer homeless dogs.

It does give me hope that some shelters are moving to a rescue model and using fosters as a means to evaluate and place their dogs. One of the shelters in the next town over does foster their mixed breed rescues. The dogs live with foster families and when you read about the dogs available you get more information about behavioral needs, temperament, the type of home placement the dog needs, etc. From what I've read about them over the years their retention rates are supposed to be pretty good. I suspect it has something to do with screening the dogs vs. just housing them in cages.

That being said there continues to be a need for multiple types of rescue. I do think its great when you see programs that have volunteers that walk, play, and raise money for food, bedding, toys, and medical care for the animals in the shelters. I also think it is important that rescues are using social media in better ways to attract people to rescue and to see what animals are available. As much as I'd prefer not to find myself a dog from one of these places, with the number of animals needing shelter there is a need for these places and the people who help make the places more livable for the animals there. I think there focus needs to be on finding homes for the animals they have and not on fighting the rescues who might have other resources for placing specific animals who end up in their cages. Petty jealousy has no place in rescue.

My other message is I would rather see people surrender their Shelties early when they realize they've made a mistake to a reputable rescue, then wait out of guilt feeling they'll be judged for giving up on their pets. Young healthy Shelties who haven't suffered abuse, neglect, and fear are much easier to rehome than those who have been kept on sufferance. I speak from experience. Bailey our first was surrendered as a puppy, by owners who thought it would be "cute" to raise their baby boy with a puppy. When they realized it was the equivalent of raising two babies they called Sheltie rescue and Bailey's foster Mom was amazing. She got him through his rejection, house broke him and had him ready for his new home. We got our first puppy completely house broken. Katy, my beautiful girl suffered what we believe was neglect for 2 years. My suspicion was she seemed like a good idea at the time and then her owners decided she was far more work than they wanted. While I would deeply have regretted not having my baby girl, I would honestly say I truly wish her owners had not felt compelled to push on and like Bailey's had early on realized they'd made a big mistake and contacted Sheltie Rescue. I would hate not knowing her, but I'd give anything for her to have grown up always having had attention and love. I believe we should encourage people to be educated before they buy, but I hesitate greatly to guilt people into keeping animals they don't want and aren't caring for because I can see the damage it did to my beautiful girl. All I ask is they decide early and surrender to a quality shelter.
    JacqueZ likes this.